Air Fryer Blackened Fish Tacos
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Air Fryer Blackened Fish Tacos – perfectly spiced fish tacos cooked in the Air Fryer and topped with a cool and crunchy lime slaw. Keto and Whole30 friendly. (Stovetop method included)
These Air Fryer Blackened Fish Tacos are totally restaurant worthy but made at home with just a few ingredients and very little effort! I love the ease of this recipe and the huge flavor! My Homemade Blackened Seasoning Mix adds spicy flavor that is perfectly balanced by a quick and simple cilantro slaw. My preferred method for baking fish filets is the Air Fryer but a cast iron pan is also great for making this recipe.
For this fish taco recipe, I prefer to use halibut (I like Crowd Cow subscription box for the best seafood) but any sturdy white fish will work (such as mahi or cod.) The fish is cooked to perfection in the air fryer and topped with a crunchy cilantro lime slaw made using simple bagged coleslaw. Complete the fish tacos by serving in your favorite tortilla (or bowl with rice) and add your favorite taco toppings for a healthy and delicious meal!
What Spices are in Blackened Seasoning?
Blackened Seasoning is easy to make at home and includes just basic pantry spices. You will need Paprika, Garlic Powder, Sea Salt, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Oregano, and Thyme, Cayenne Pepper. The spice (heat) level can be adjusted by reducing the cayenne pepper if you prefer a less spicy seasoning.
Halibut Filets (or other sturdy, flaky white fish such as cod or mahi)
Homemade Blackened Seasoning Blend
Avocado Oil Spray
Avocado or Olive Oil
How to Make Blackened Fish Tacos
Air Fryer Method
Begin by making the Blackened Seasoning Blend. Spread 3 tablespoons of the spice mix onto a plate.
Pat fish filets dry with paper towels and press each side into the seasoning mix, coating well.
Place filets in the air fryer basket and spritz lightly with avocado oil spray.
Cook at 370 degrees for about 8 minutes, or longer for thicker filets. Fish should flake easily.
Cast Iron Pan Method
Use the same steps listed above to season the fish filets.
Heat 1-2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a cast iron pan over medium high heat.
Place filets in the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until fish is cooked through and flakes easily.
How to Serve Blackened Fish Tacos
Serve in corn or flour tortillas with cilantro lime slaw and your favorite toppings.
Serve in lettuce cups with slaw and toppings.
Build Fish Taco Bowls with rice, slaw, and favorite toppings.
Best Blackened Fish Taco Toppings
Guacamole or sliced avocado
Sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
Fresh Salsa or chopped tomatoes
Air Fryer Blackened Fish Tacos
- 16 oz halibut filets, or mahi, cod, or other flaky white fish
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Blackened Seasoning
- avocado oil spray
Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 2 cups bagged coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil, or olive oil
- First, prepare the slaw by combining coleslaw mix, cilantro, lime juice, and avocado oil in a bowl. Toss well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pat halibut filets dry with paper towel. Coat both sides of each filet with the blackened seasoning. (I do this by pouring the seasoning onto a plate and pressing the fish into the mix.)
- Place filets in the basket of Air Fryer and spritz lightly with avocado oil spray.
- Cook at 370 degrees for 7-8 minutes (or up to 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the filets.)
- Remove from Air Fryer and let cool slightly. Break filets into pieces for serving in tacos.
- Serve in tortillas or lettuce cups and top with slaw and any other desired toppings (avocado, cheese, tomatoes, etc.,)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here
3 Comments on “Air Fryer Blackened Fish Tacos”
Love the seasoning! great recipe
Delicious 😋 and so simple!