Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie (Paleo Keto) – packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients, this drink is a refreshing powerhouse and a great way to start your day!
There’s nothing better than a cool, fruity smoothie for breakfast or a snack. I have plenty of favorite combos, but when it comes to fighting inflammation in the body, this is my favorite. With only four ingredients, it’s a simple and quick way to add some superfoods to your diet. And of course it’s super delicious too!
So what’s all the buzz about inflammation lately? Well, I’m no medical expert, but I think what it comes down to is this. While some inflammation in the body is okay, too much is a bad thing. In fact, too much inflammation is often the root of disease such as cancer, heart disease, and type two diabetes. The research surrounding this is pretty convincing. Although there are many triggers for inflammation, our diet and the food we put in our bodies is certainly a big one. Fortunately, it’s also one that’s within our control!
I’m a firm believer that food can be medicine. It’s a known fact our bodies respond positively or negatively to what we put in them. When I eat junk, I feel like junk. When I eat well, I feel well. Pretty simple, right? So as much as possible, it makes sense to fight inflammation where we can by using our diet. According to Harvard Health, by choosing the right foods, you may be able to reduce your risk of illness.
- olive oil
- green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, kale, collards
- nuts like almonds and walnuts
- fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, tuna, and sardines
- fruits, such as strawberries, blueberries, oranges, and cherries
This smoothie is great for fighting inflammation as a regular addition to your diet but I also add it to my morning routine whenever I feel like I’ve gotten a little off track. It’s so refreshing and cleansing, and has those detoxifying powers I need. Not to mention it’s bursting with flavor and there are tons of fun ways to change it up (see below.) If you’re mornings are hectic, this is a great option – just dump in the blender, blend, and go!
Pro Tips for Making Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie
- Double the recipe and pour extra into silicone ice cube trays, then blend frozen cubes for a quick smoothie on the go.
- Store individual servings of prepped ingredients in a Ziploc in the freezer. Just dump in blender and add liquid.
- Pour into popsicle molds for a yummy frozen treat.
- Use your choice of liquid in place of water. Almond milk and coconut water are great choices.
- Use kale instead of spinach, or a mix of both.
- Add banana or honey for extra sweetness.
- For Keto diets or to add some extra healthy fats, add a tablespoon of almond butter.
Check out these Make Ahead Smoothie Packets for more healthy on-the-go breakfast options!
Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie (Paleo Keto)
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries or fresh
- 4 large strawberries
- 1 cup packed spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup water or almond milk
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until completely smooth.
- If desired, pour smoothie into popsicle molds or ice cube trays and freeze for future use.
*this post may contain affiliate links