Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps (Whole30 Paleo Keto) – simple, fresh, and tasty best describe these Asian inspired Ground Turkey Lettuce Wraps. Low carb, full of flavor, and super easy to prepare!
If you need a quick and tasty dish that is low in carbs and refined sugar free, look no further than these delicious Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps! Made in under 30 minutes, this recipe is perfect for busy weeknights, those moments when the take-out cravings hit, or anytime you want a nutritious and family-friendly meal on the table fast.
I absolutely love the flavors in this dish. Savory and sweet at the same time with crunch from the water chestnuts and the lettuce wraps. Best of all, you can feel great about these ingredients! Coconut aminos replace the soy sauce and add a touch of sweetness without any refined sugar. (Note: if you haven’t tried coconut aminos yet, you are missing out! You can sometimes find it at the grocery store but my favorite brand is from Thrive Market.) Sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and rice vinegar bring that familiar Asian flair, and feel free to spice it up by adding some crushed red pepper or sriracha!
Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps Recipe
To make these healthy turkey lettuce wraps, begin by making the sauce. You’ll need coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice vinegar (yes it’s Whole30 compliant), garlic, ginger, and arrowroot powder (for thickening.) I like to combine everything in a small mason jar and shake to combine. Set the sauce aside while you prepare the filling.
For the filling, cook the onion and bell peppers in the oil for a few minutes. Add the ground turkey and cook until completely browned. Ground turkey tends to let off a lot of excess water so I usually drain the mixture at this point.
Add the water chestnuts and sauce to the filling and cook for a few more minutes. Remove from the heat, cool slightly, then pile the filling into lettuce cups and serve!
Healthy Turkey Lettuce Wraps Variations
The best part about this recipe is it’s totally customizable to your tastes! You can also serve it several different ways to meet the needs of your family. Here are some of my favorite tips and variations for these Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps:
Add some finely diced mushrooms with the onions and bell peppers for an extra veggie boost and to bulk up the mixture.
If you enjoy spicy heat, add a squeeze of sriracha or crushed red peppers to the sauce mixture.
Feel free to use ground chicken or ground beef in place of the ground turkey. Any ground meat is delicious in this recipe.
Skip the lettuce wraps and serve over white rice or cauliflower rice (Whole30/Keto compliant).
Build meal prep bowls with the ground turkey mixture and lettuce cups or rice.
If you’re not concerned with keeping this recipe Paleo/Whole30 compliant, you may substitute light soy sauce in place of the coconut aminos.
Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps (Whole30 Paleo Keto)
- To make the sauce, add all ingredients to a small mason jar, seal tightly and shake until completely combined. Alternatively, add everything to a small bowl and whisk well. Set aside.
- Heat avocado and sesame oils in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add the ground turkey and break into bits. Cook until browned and no longer pink, about 6-8 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Add the water chestnuts and sauce to the ground turkey mixture and stir well. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve the mixture in lettuce leaves or as desired (see tips.)