Easy Butternut Squash Bisque (Dairy Free)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Easy Butternut Squash Bisque – creamy and comforting, this Butternut Squash Bisque recipe is rich, flavorful, and dairy free! Includes Instant Pot instructions.
Best Butternut Squash Bisque Recipe
This easy Butternut Squash Soup recipe is a seriously delicious and creamy soup that is a great addition to any menu! It’s perfect for lunch, as a first course to an elegant meal, or served with salad or sammies for a casual dinner. It is also packed with nutrition and is dairy free!
Made with just a few simple ingredients, this soup is so tasty and satisfying and has a silky bisque-like texture without any heavy cream. It’s one of my go-to recipes for meal prep. I love to make a big batch on Sunday and eat it all week for lunch or added to dinner.
- Butternut Squash – fresh or frozen, cut into cubes.
- Olive Oil – avocado oil or coconut oil works too.
- Carrots – use any color/variety. It is not necessary to peel the carrots if you would like to skip that step!
- Onion – I prefer to use yellow onions with a milder flavor in soups and bisque recipes.
- Broth – choose a low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth. Or try my homemade chicken stock and vegetable stock.
- Coconut Milk – I use coconut milk to keep my bisque dairy free, but you may also use heavy cream. For my pantry staples like coconut milk and chicken stock, I use Thrive Market. Their products are organic, high quality, and priced at a discount. It’s an online delivery service, so I also love the convenience!
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper – season the bisque after pureeing to taste.
How to Make Butternut Squash Bisque
- Warm the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onions to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes until just beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the squash and broth to the pot, increase the heat, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to low heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree the soup using an immersion blender (a food processor can also be used here, blending in batches.)
- Stir in the coconut milk and season with salt and black pepper.
- See recipe notes for instructions on how to make in the Instant Pot.
Variations & Tips
- For a vegan butternut squash soup, use vegetable broth and coconut milk.
- Topping suggestions: a swirl of coconut milk or cream, pumpkin seeds, chopped parsley, a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt,
- My favorite time and money saving trick is to buy the fresh squash when it’s in season (and cheap), peel and cut into cubes, and freeze it. You’ll be amazed at how easy this soup is to whip up with the frozen squash and just a couple of pantry ingredients.
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Bisque
Keep it meat free and serve with a grilled cheese sandwich and a green salad.
Pair with Cranberry Chicken Salad for a nutritious, light lunch.
An Immersion Blender is essential for making creamy soups like this Butternut Squash Soup and similar versions. I use mine ALL the time, especially for soups such as Instant Pot Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew and Creamy Cauliflower Soup.
A decent soup pot is a great investment. You can spend a lot or a little, but I like this moderately priced pot for making big batches of soup.
Store cooled soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To freeze, pour cooled soup into a freezer safe container (I love these Souper Cubes for freezing individual portions) and place in the freezer. The bisque will keep well for up to 6 months.
Butternut Squash Bisque Macros
Protein – 5 grams
Carbs – 22 grams
Fat – 6 grams
More Creamy Soup Recipes
If you love this Whole30 Butternut Squash Soup, try my Detox Turmeric Veggie Soup. It’s full of anti-inflammatory cleansing ingredients and is so tasty!
Butternut Squash Bisque (Dairy Free)
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash (fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth (Swanson low sodium chicken broth is my favorite)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add carrots and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add squash and garlic, cooking and stirring for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes (or until veggies are soft.)
- Remove from heat. Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in a standard blender (working in batches.) Stir in the coconut milk and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with an additional swirl of coconut milk if desired.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Combine squash, carrots, onion, garlic, and broth in the Instant Pot. Set for 15 minutes on Manual function.
- Let pot depressurize naturally or perform a quick release. Add coconut milk and puree the soup using an immersion blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here