Butternut Squash Bisque (Whole30 Paleo) – creamy and comforting, this Whole30 Butternut Squash Soup is rich, flavorful, and dairy free! Includes Instant Pot instructions.
This Whole30 Butternut Squash Soup is a seriously delicious and creamy soup that is a great addition to any menu! It’s perfect for lunch, as a first course to an elegant meal, or served with salad or sammies for a casual dinner. It is also packed with nutrition and is dairy free!
As a family, we attempt to eat more Paleo style meals. Generally, I try to keep the 80/20 rule in mind – at least 80% of our diets should be whole/clean foods. Still, the struggle is real. So I love it when I find a recipe that doesn’t feel like a “special diet” recipe. This is one. This soup is so tasty and satisfying, and has that silky bisque-like texture without any heavy cream. I love this soup so much that I’ve been buying butternut squash from the local market in mass quantities lately! My favorite time and money saving trick is to buy the fresh squash when it’s in season (and cheap), peel and cut into cubes, and freeze it. You’ll be amazed at how easy this soup is to whip up with the frozen squash and just a couple of pantry ingredients.
This Butternut Squash Soup is a great addition to any Whole 30 menu. Whole030 focuses on a diet of only real, unprocessed foods. The intent is to reset your body by eliminating sugar, dairy, and gluten for 30 days and then gradually reintroduce foods to determine their true effect on your body. If you’re considering a round of Whole30, check out some of my sample menus and Survival Guide for tons of tips and recipes.
Basics You’ll Need to Make Whole30 Butternut Squash Soup
For my pantry staples like coconut milk and chicken stock, I use Thrive Market. Their products are organic, high quality, and priced at a discount. It’s an online delivery service, so I also love the convenience!
An Immersion Blender is essential for making creamy soups like this Butternut Squash Soup and similar versions. I use mine ALL the time, especially for soups such as Instant Pot Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew and Creamy Cauliflower Soup.
A decent soup/stock pot is a great investment. You can spend a lot or a little, but I like this moderately priced pot for making big batches of soup.
If you love this Whole30 Butternut Squash Soup, try my Detox Turmeric Veggie Soup. It’s full of anti-inflammatory cleansing ingredients and is so tasty!
Butternut Squash Bisque (Whole30 Paleo)
- 3-4 cups cubed butternut squash (fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth (Swanson low sodium chicken broth is my favorite)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add carrots and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add squash and garlic, cooking and stirring for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes (or until veggies are soft.)
- Remove from heat. Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in a standard blender (working in batches.) Stir in the coconut milk and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with an additional swirl of coconut milk if desired.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Combine squash, carrots, onion, garlic, and broth in the Instant Pot. Set for 15 minutes on Manual function.
- Let pot depressurize naturally or perform a quick release. Add coconut milk and puree the soup using an immersion blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.