Copycat Amy’s Vegan Quinoa & Black Bean Burritos (Gluten Free)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Copycat Amy’s Vegan Quinoa & Black Bean Burritos (Gluten Free) – make ahead, freezable vegan burritos that are budget friendly and taste just like the original! Rich in protein, gluten free, and dairy free.
I love Amy’s brand organic frozen meals for a quick lunch, especially the vegan quinoa and black bean burritos. For frozen meal options, Amy’s brand meals are relatively healthy and not too heavy on the sodium and other additives. The downside is they are a little pricey so I set on a mission to make my own from scratch and save some $$. These come in at a little under $1 per burrito, compared to $3 at the store for the real thing. The best part is they are super healthy, gluten free, and freezable. Perfect for those days when you don’t have time to pack a lunch to bring to work. Just grab and go!
When I started meal prepping, this was one of the first recipes I developed and added to my rotation. I love the convenience of having my lunches and snacks prepped and ready to eat when I need them. It saves me so much time and hassle during the week and I’m much less likely to make unhealthy choices. These Vegan Quinoa & Black Bean Burritos are the perfect addition to weekly meal prep.
To make the filling, I used leftover quinoa, black beans, yellow potatoes, bell peppers, onion, and tomato sauce. Then I seasoned everything up with some homemade taco seasoning, cilantro, and lime juice. These burritos taste just like the store bought version and are even healthier!
How to Make Amy’s Vegan Quinoa & Black Bean Burritos
- First make the filling!
- To build the burritos, place a generous amount of filling onto each wrap (I used Toufayen brand gluten free wraps) and roll them like a burrito (folding the two short sides in first, then fold in the long side and roll up).
- Place burritos seam side down on a baking sheet and place in freezer.
- When burritos are completely frozen, place into a large freezer bag to store for use.
- To heat, pop them into the microwave (no need to defrost) and heat 2 1/2-3 minutes, rotating once.
Tips for Making Vegan Quinoa & Black Bean Burritos
- Gluten free wraps can sometimes be crumbly and break easily. One way to prevent this is to warm them between damp paper towels before filling and wrapping.
- Chop the potatoes finely so they cook all the way through. Larger chunks will require longer cooking time.
- Double the batch to build up your freezer stash.
- Customize your filling! Omit the beans, add other protein sources (for non-vegan), add chopped zucchini, etc.
Copycat Amy's Brand Vegan Quinoa & Black Bean Burritos
- 1 cup heaping cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup peeled and finely diced Yukon gold potatoes, about 3 small potatoes
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper, I used yellow and orange peppers
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning, see below or store bought
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
- 1 can (15 oz.) no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) low sodium black beans
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 6 Gluten Free Wraps, choose a vegan friendly brand if desired
- Cook quinoa according to directions. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add onion, peppers, and potatoes and cook 5 minutes until veggies begin to soften. Stir in garlic, taco seasoning, tomato sauce, spinach, and black beans. Simmer for 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cilantro, lime juice, and quinoa. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- When mixture is slightly cooled, place a generous amount in the center of each wrap and roll like a burrito. Place seam side down on a baking sheet and place in freezer until frozen through.
- Frozen burritos can be wrapped individually or stored in a large freezer bag. To heat, remove frozen burrito and microwave for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, rotating throughout cooking.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here
6 Comments on “Copycat Amy’s Vegan Quinoa & Black Bean Burritos (Gluten Free)”
Pingback: No Bake Clif Bar Cookies | TastyThin
Pingback: 44 Ideas to Satisfy Your Next Vegan Burrito Craving -
Tina, you are welcome! Hope you enjoyed the recipe!
What brand of wrap/tortilla did you use? They look great and a decent size.
I like Toufayen brand for gluten free wraps 🙂