Crock Pot Beef Enchilada Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Crock Pot Beef Enchilada Casserole – all the flavors of enchiladas in an easy slow cooker recipe with simple ingredients. A great recipe for Taco Tuesday or any night you want a zero-fuss delicious meal that the whole family will love.
Reasons to Love these Slow Cooker Enchiladas
- Classic Mexican flavors made with only basic ingredients.
- Hearty, filling, and the leftovers are great!
- Easily customizable – from the meat mixture to the toppings, you can make it your own.
- No rolling of tortillas involved like in traditional enchiladas, just easy layering of ingredients.
- Lean ground beef
- Soft corn tortillas
- Red enchilada sauce
- Green chiles
- Homemade Taco Seasoning – chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, onion powder, garlic, powder, sea salt, black pepper, oregano.
- Diced tomatoes
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Various toppings: shredded lettuce, fresh cilantro, grated cheese, tomatoes, olives, sour cream or Greek yogurt, green onions, hot sauce, etc.
Variations & Tips
- Up the protein and fiber by adding refried beans or black beans to the meat mixture.
- Use ground turkey, venison, or ground chicken in place of the ground beef if desired.
- Add cauliflower rice to the meat mixture for some extra sneaky veggies!
- Add a little kick with some chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Slow Cooker Beef Enchiladas
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and chopped onion, cooking until beef is no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Stir in the green chiles, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, and enchilada sauce (reserving 1/4 cup for the bottom of the slow cooker.)
- Spread remaining enchilada sauce into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place tortillas in a single layer (tearing or cutting as needed to fit)
- Spread 1/2 of the meat mixture over tortillas, then sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of tortillas, the rest of the beef mixture, and remaining cheese.
- Cook on High for 2 hours or Low for 3-4 hours.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Can I use flour tortillas instead?
I prefer corn in this recipe, but flour tortillas will work too. Low carb almond tortillas are also a great option!
What type of cheese is best?
I like a sharp cheddar cheese, but mild cheddar, colby, or monterey jack cheese are great too. I always recommend avoiding pre-shredded bagged cheese (that contain anti-caking agents) and shredding it yourself instead.
Could I make this recipe with chicken instead?
Sure! Make it a Chicken Enchilada Casserole by substituting cooked, shredded chicken for the ground beef.
Is there a vegetarian version of this recipe?
You could easily make a Quinoa Enchilada Casserole by substituting cooked quinoa and black beans for the ground beef.
How to store leftover crockpot enchiladas?
Place any leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave at 30 second intervals until warmed.
What are the Macros for Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole?
Protein – 18 grams
Carbs – 22 carbs
Fat – 20 grams
Fiber – 4 grams
More Healthy Casserole Recipes
Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 10 small corn tortillas
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 4 ounces green chilis
- 1 small onion, diced
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning, see recipe below
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- various toppings as desired
- Cook ground beef and chopped onion in a skillet over medium high heat. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add enchilada sauce (reserving 1/4 cup), green chilis, diced tomatoes, and taco seasoning to the meat mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread reserved enchilada sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place half of the tortillas over the sauce, cutting or tearing them to fit as needed.
- Spread half of the meat mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle with half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, meat mixture, and cheese.
- Cover and cook on High for 2 hours or Low for 3-4 hours.
- Add desired toppings, serve, and enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here