Easy Homemade Chocolate Larabars (Whole30 Paleo) – a sweet, chocolatey, protein-packed snack made with only 3 ingredients, perfect for grab-and-go and so easy to make!
I absolutely LOVE these copycat Larabars! While on this round of Whole30, I did not eat any sugar but I do confess to the occasional Larabar (this is my favorite Whole30 compliant flavor.) If you’re familiar with Whole30, you know that refined sugars are completely out. Natural sugars found in fruit (and dates) are perfectly fine, but only in moderation.
Larabars, RX Bars, etc. are allowed on Whole30, but not encouraged. The idea is to defeat that “sugar dragon” that often destroys our healthy efforts and willpower. While I will never give up sugar entirely, I do agree with a 30 day plan that aims to break some bad habits and hopefully teach new coping mechanisms for the emotional reasons we often to turn to sugar and other junk food.
These homemade copycat Whole30 Larabars are so great because they are easy, less expensive, and a nice alternative from the monotony. When you just can’t stomach anymore veggies or need something that fits in your bag for an emergency snack, these little bars hit the mark. For non-Whole30 followers, consider them a healthy and protein-packed delicious treat!
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Whole30 Larabars
- You’ll get the best results processing dates if you soak them first in very hot water. This softens them up and will result in a more paste-like texture.
- I use a combination of almonds and cashews but you could use just one or the other.
- Instead of pressing the mixture into a pan and cutting into bars, shape into 1 inch balls for bite sized Whole30 Larabars.
- Add mini semi-sweet chocolate chips for extra chocolatey bars (not Whole30!)
- Add peppermint oil (see recipe notes below) or other flavored extracts for different flavor combinations (check extracts for Whole30 compliance.)
They are so simple to make, I have plans to try some other flavors (coming soon!). Just three ingredients for the straight chocolate version and four if you’re into the mint chocolate thing (my favorite!!). I like to wrap them individually in wax paper so they are easy to grab and store. Enjoy!
Easy Homemade Chocolate Larabars (Whole30 Paleo)
- Soak your dates in very hot water for about 5 minutes. Reserve water. Place nuts and dates into the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely ground.
- Add cocoa powder and continue to pulse until combined. Add reserved water 1 tablespoon at a time if mixture is very dry. Mixture is ready when a small amount pinched between your fingers sticks together well.
- Add peppermint oil if using. Press mixture into an 8X8 baking dish. Refrigerate for at least one hour, then cut into bars.
- If desired, individually wrap bars for an easy grab-and-go snack. Keep refrigerated.
*this post contains affiliate links