Easy Instant Pot Goulash Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Easy Instant Pot Goulash – a wholesome, family friendly meal made in the Instant Pot. Quick and easy, perfect for weeknight meals!
Quick & Easy Instant Pot Goulash Recipe
Need a hands-off dinner recipe that’s on the table fast? Instant Pot Goulash takes the stress out of busy weeknight mealtime! My family LOVES this recipe, and I love that is so easy to make and requires only simple, nutritious ingredients. Skip the Hamburger Helper and make your own meaty, saucy pasta dish in no time!
While shortcut dinner kits and frozen meals can seem tempting and certainly convenient on the busiest of nights, it’s important to remember that those processed meals containing yucky ingredients can usually be recreated from scratch with very little effort. This Instant Pot Goulash recipe uses only basic pantry items and is totally hands off, leaving you extra time to tackle your to-do list!
Why We Love Instant Pot Goulash
- It’s budget friendly and requires only a few basic inexpensive ingredients.
- Made in one pot, for easy clean-up!
- It’s a family friendly meal, loved equally by kids and adults.
- It’s hearty and filling.
- One recipe goes a long way, and the leftovers reheat great!
What’s in Goulash?
The American version of Goulash is typically a combination of beef, pasta, and tomatoes with onions and seasonings, and sometimes topped with cheese. Goulash differs slightly from regular pasta and meat sauce because the noodles are cooked directly in the sauce mixture. American Goulash is a variation on traditional Hungarian Goulash which often contains paprika, potatoes, and carrots.
What You’ll Need
- Ground Beef (Butcherbox is my favorite source of grass-fed and finished beef)
- Green Bell Pepper – substitute red or yellow bell peppers if needed.
- Onion – yellow onion is a great option.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth – water can be substituted but I like the extra depth of flavor from broth.
- Elbow Pasta – or another small pasta shape like shells or mini penne.
- Diced Tomatoes – look for low sodium canned tomatoes.
- Tomato Sauce – again, check for low sodium sauce, you won’t notice the difference!
- Italian Seasoning – I like to make my own, but a store-bought seasoning blend is fine too.
How to Make Goulash in the Instant Pot
- Begin by browning the ground beef using the Sauté mode. When it is nearly done cooking, add in diced onion and green bell pepper.
- Next add the seasonings (Homemade Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and sea salt), and broth. Give it all a stir.
- Add the noodles, pressing them slightly into the liquid.
- Pour the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce over the noodles. Do not stir. It will all come together after cooking!
- Cook for 4 minutes on Manual mode and quick release the pressure after complete.
- Stir it all together and let is sit for 5 minutes while any extra liquid/sauce is absorbed.
Variations on Instant Pot Goulash
- Try ground venison or ground turkey in place of the beef.
- Top with fresh grated Parmesan Cheese or grated fresh mozzarella cheese.
- For gluten free diets, use a gluten free pasta of your choice.
- For a flavorful kick, add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
More Easy Weeknight One Pot Meals
Easy Instant Pot Goulash
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, recipe below
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups elbow pasta, or other small shape pasta
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Using the Saute mode, brown the ground beef, adding in the green pepper and onion in the last few minutes. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add the seasoning, garlic, salt, and broth to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the noodles, pressing them into the liquid. Pour the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce over top (there is no need to stir at this point.)
- Lock lid and se the pot for 4 minutes on Manual mode. When cycle is complete, quick release the pressure. Remove lid and stir combine.
- Optional: stir in red pepper flakes or top with parmesan and/or chopped parsley.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here