Easy Mexican Quinoa Skillet (Gluten Free) – a tasty one pot family friendly meal, ready in under 30 minutes. Packed with protein and tons of flavor!
Here’s a busy weeknight winner for you. This hearty Easy Mexican Quinoa Skillet is ready in under 30 minutes and is full of flavor and healthy ingredients. I love one pot skillet meals and especially one that is this tasty!
This recipe requires very little preparation – it’s pretty much a throw it all in the pot kind of deal. The other great part? Your lunch of leftovers can be enjoyed hot or cold…that’s the beauty of quinoa! Low in fat and full of nutrition, you can feel great about feeding this skillet meal to your family.
Quinoa and black beans provide tons of protein in this meatless dish. For lots of great Mexican flavor, I prefer to use my Homemade Taco & Fajita Seasoning Blend. It’s super simple to make and is great to have on hand for all your favorite Mexican inspired recipes (like this Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Taco Soup!)
Tips for Easy Mexican Quinoa Skillet
- Stir in cooked chicken, pork, or shrimp for added protein.
- Customize with your favorite toppings like avocado, tomatoes, green onions, shredded cheese, cilantro, etc.
- In the final 5 minutes or so of cooking time, make four wells in the mixture and add a cracked egg to each well. Cover and continue to cook until quinoa and eggs are done.
- Excellent for Meal Prep – just package individual servings and add topping on the side.
- Try my homemade Cajun Seasoning Blend in place of the Taco & Fajita blend for a different flavor combo.
Easy Mexican Quinoa Skillet - a tasty one pot family friendly meal,ready in under 30 minutes. Packed with protein and tons of great flavor!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can low sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup broth vegetable or chicken
- 1 cup raw spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon Homemade Taco Seasoning or packaged
- 1 tablespoon cilantro paste
- 1 tsp salt (optional, to taste)
- 1-2 tsp lime juice
In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and green pepper, cooking for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked.
Stir in lime juice and top with your favorite toppings (shredded cheese, diced tomatoes and avocados, and sliced green onion.)