Easy Turkey Bolognese
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Easy Turkey Bolognese – a family friendly simple recipe, full of flavor and clean ingredients!! Ditch the store bought jarred sauce and make your own! Stovetop, slow cooker, or Instant Pot instructions.
Okay friends, this may be a hard pill to swallow for some but…if you’re not making your own sauce, you need to start! Since you’re reading this post, you’re likely already on board. It’s just as easy and economical to make homemade sauce AND so much healthier for you. Often those jar sauces have hidden sugar and loads of sodium. So if you’re not able to make the switch, at least be sure to check your labels!
I love this recipe because it can be easily doubled and leftovers frozen for future meals. Make a big batch when you’re in the mood to cook, freeze in quart sized Ziploc bags, and warm in the crockpot for a super fast weeknight dinner. I like to make this on Meal Prep Sunday when I’m already cooking, and store it away for a weeknight dinner. Just warm the sauce and serve over pasta, spaghetti squash, or zoodles – the perfect quick meal for busy evenings! For a vegetarian option, see this post for a super quick meat-free homemade sauce!
How to Make Homemade Turkey Bolognese
Begin by preparing the veggies. Finely mince the onion, carrot, and celery. The veggies and ground turkey will become the base of the Bolognese.
Brown the ground turkey according to the instructions below for the cooking vessel you are using.
Combine the browned turkey, veggies, and crushed tomatoes. Season with Homemade Italian Seasoning Blend and let the sauce cook or simmer.
To add some richness, stir in a small amount of butter or ghee.
Easy Turkey Bolognese
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 large carrot, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons homemade Italian seasoning, see recipe below
- 1 T butter (optional), use ghee for Whole30/Paleo
- In a large deep skillet, saute onion, carrot, and celery in the olive oil over medium high heat. Cook until starting to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and ground turkey and continue to cook, breaking up turkey.
- When turkey is browned, add crushed tomatoes, salt, and basil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the butter if using.
Slow Cooker Instrcutions:
- Brown turkey in the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain if necessary. Add to a slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients (except butter.) Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or High for 3-4 hours. Stir in butter if using.
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Add oil to the bottom of the pot. Brown turkey using the Saute function. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and seasoning. Seal lid, and set for 10 minutes using Manual function. Natural release pressure. Stir in butter if using.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here
One Comment on “Easy Turkey Bolognese”
Pingback: Skinny Chicken Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese | TastyThin