Garlic Herb Salmon Foil Packets with Potatoes (Paleo Whole30 Keto)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Garlic Herb Salmon Foil Packets with Potatoes (Paleo Whole30 Keto) – flaky salmon and tender potatoes cooked perfectly in foil with garlic, butter, and a Mediterranean herb blend. A simple and quick recipe made on the grill or in the oven.
Moment of truth…I like salmon, but I don’t love it. UNLESS it’s fresh caught. So when my husband went charter fishing on Lake Michigan recently and landed me a whole freezer full of fresh salmon, I was pretty excited. Grilling in foil has always been my favorite way to prepare salmon, and I have been making a variation of this recipe for a while. To make the meal even easier and add big flavor, I added potatoes to the salmon foil packets, along with my homemade Mediterranean seasoning and plenty of butter.
Fresh salmon is so delicious on its own, but the herbed butter brings the flavor to another level. The foil packets capture all that buttery herb sauce and produce plenty of steam for cooking the salmon and potatoes. Yukon gold potatoes are my favorite because they tend to be softer and cook in less time.
Summer in Michigan can be pretty short lived, so we try to make the most of the warm sunny days while we can. That means fast and easy recipes, usually prepared on the grill, make up most of our meals. I love these Garlic Herb Salmon Foil Packets because the prep is super simple and cooking time is minimal. To round out the meal, serve it with a side salad or add some veggies right to the foil packet. We also love it with this Summer Veggie Skillet!
Looking for more grilling inspiration? We love these Rosemary Dijon Turkey Kabobs and Whole30 Bruschetta Grilled Chicken. With a freezer full of fish, I think there will be more salmon recipes coming your way soon! Do you have a favorite way to prepare it? Let me know in the comments below!
Garlic Herb Salmon Foil Packets Tips & Variations
- Add lemon slices on top of the salmon for additional flavor.
- Be sure to use a heavy duty foil for the best results.
- Add veggies to the foil packets. Asparagus, zucchini, and bell peppers are great options.
- This recipe is great for meal prep. Prepare and cook packets, and package in these containers for made ahead lunches.
- Try any of my other homemade seasoning blends for a different flavor profile. The Italian, Cajun, and Greek blends would all be fabulous!
Garlic Herb Salmon Foil Packs with Potatoes (Paleo Whole30 Keto)
- 4 salmon fillets, skin removed
- 4-6 medium yukon gold potatoes, slice into thin rounds
- 1/4 cup softened butter (ghee for Whole30)
- 2-3 teaspoons Homemade Mediterranean Seasoning, see recipe below
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- fresh herbs (parsley, thyme), optional
- Preheat an outdoor grill. Prepare four large sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter, 1 teaspoon of Mediterranean seasoning, and garlic powder. Mix well, until combined.
- Divide potatoes evenly among foil packs by placing in the middle of the foil. The potato slices can overlap slightly. Place a salmon fillet on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle each foil pack with the remaining Mediterranean seasoning.
- Place a dollop of the herb butter on top of each salmon fillet. Gather the tops and sides of the foil together, sealing the edges, forming tented packets. Place on grill and cook until potatoes are tender and salmon is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- For oven method, place packets on a large baking sheet and bake in 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle fish and potatoes with chopped fresh herbs (parsley and thyme are my favorite.)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here
2 Comments on “Garlic Herb Salmon Foil Packets with Potatoes (Paleo Whole30 Keto)”
Tried this for the first time last night and it was DELICIOUS!!!! I was able to get everything prepped while our oven heated up and since everything was cooked in foil packs, clean up was a breeze! My husband and I both loved it. I will definitely be making it again soon.
Thanks so much, Sarah! Glad you enjoyed it!