Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – super simple to make and naturally sweetened, these muffins are gluten free and a healthier grab-and-go breakfast or snack!
These Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a great option for a busy morning breakfast or quick snack! This is also a great recipe to try if you’re just starting to experiment with gluten free baking. Sweet and simple!
We love muffins in this house, especially these Healthy Banana Muffins, so I decided to try a GF version. While we are not an exclusively “gluten free” family, I like to find ways to eliminate processed ingredients whenever possible. If you’re looking to limit gluten in your family’s diet, this is a great way to ease into unchartered territory – skip new or complicated recipes and instead take a tried and true simple recipe that is already a hit, and substitute all purpose gluten free flour (I recommend my Homemade Paleo Gluten Free Flour Blend or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour) for the regular flour. So simple and the perfect way to test your family’s reactions to the switch (mine didn’t even notice!!)
What I love most about this recipe is that there is no added sugar. The bananas provide plenty of sweetness! For more fun, play around with the add-ins. Walnuts, pecans, blueberries, or raisins would be some great options!
Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose baking flour (I prefer Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dark or semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add applesauce, oil, and egg. Stir until slightly lumpy.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffins cups 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes.