Gluten Free Banana Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Gluten Free Banana Muffins – super simple to make and naturally sweetened, these muffins are gluten free and a healthier grab-and-go breakfast or snack! Gluten and Dairy Free.
Best Banana Muffins
These Gluten Free Banana Muffins are a great option for a busy morning easy breakfast or quick snack. Made with simple ingredients, this is an easy recipe to try if you’re just starting to experiment with gluten free baking. Sweet and simple! The next time you have some extra bananas sitting around beginning to go bad, make these muffins!
We love muffins in this house, especially these Healthy Banana Muffins, so I decided to try a gluten free version. While we are not an exclusively “gluten free” family, I like to find ways to eliminate processed ingredients whenever possible. If you’re new to gluten-free baking or just looking to limit gluten or processed refined flour in your family’s diet, this is a great way to ease into unchartered territory – skip new or complicated recipes and instead take a tried-and-true simple recipe that is already a hit and substitute all-purpose gluten free flour. So simple and the perfect way to test your family’s reactions to the switch (mine didn’t even notice!!)
What I love most about these delicious banana muffins is that they contain no added sugar. The bananas provide plenty of sweetness! My kids love the addition of chocolate chips, but there are plenty of lower sugar options (see my suggestions below) that are just as delicious!
- Mashed Bananas – overripe bananas (with lots of spots) are best.
- Unsweetened Applesauce – look for applesauce that has no sugar added.
- Oil – I prefer avocado oil or melted coconut oil for best results.
- Egg – or substitute flax eggs to make this Vegan.
- Gluten free flour – see my notes below for suggestions on my favorite gluten-free flour products or make your own Homemade Paleo Flour.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Ground Cinnamon
- Add-ins (optional) – chocolate chips (I like these dairy free chips), blueberries, walnuts, etc.
How to Make Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- Prepare a muffin tin with baking spray (or use muffin liners) and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add in the applesauce, oil, and egg. Stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon to the wet ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Fold in any add-ins like chocolate chips or blueberries.
- Scoop the muffin batter into muffin cups until they are about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Make mini muffins using a mini-muffin tin. They are great for bite-sized snacks!
Try Greek yogurt in place of the applesauce for an extra protein boost.
Play around with your favorite mix-ins. Walnuts, pecans, blueberries, or raisins would be some great options!
Store cooled muffins in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They can be refrigerated but it is not necessary.
Gluten Free Baking Flour Alternatives
I recommend my Homemade Paleo Gluten Free Flour Blend or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour as a substitute for regular all-purpose flour when baking. Every recipe is different, but I’ve seen very good results substituting 1:1 gluten free flour blends for all purpose white flour, especially in muffins and quick breads.
Oat flour and almond flour are also good gluten-free substitutes for flour in muffin recipes. The texture of the muffins when using these ingredients will be a little less fluffy and the muffins won’t rise as much, but the taste is wonderful! To make your own oat flour, simply add oats to a food processor and pulse into they are a flour like consistency.
No Sugar Banana Muffin Recipe
You won’t miss the sugar at all in this recipe! Because bananas are naturally so sweet, there is no need to add any refined white sugar. The addition of unsweetened applesauce also adds natural sweetness and keeps the muffins extra moist as well. If you want to keep it completely refined sugar free, substitute the chocolate chips for any of the add-ins mentioned above. Blueberries are a favorite in our family!
More Easy Muffin Recipes
Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, or avocado oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose baking flour, or regular flour (see note)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dark or semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add applesauce, oil, and egg. Stir until slightly lumpy.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffins cups 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here