Yum. This is pure goodness in a pita right here. When I saw Jessica’s post, I couldn’t wait to try this. I love anything Greek inspired and especially the flavors in this dish…tangy lemon, salty olives, ripe tomatoes, fresh feta, oregano and dill. You won’t believe the creamy, tangy deliciousness of this tzatziki. I can’t resist it. No surprise there, adding avocado to anything has that effect on me…
There are countless ways to enjoy the components of this recipe. The dressing is perfect and the salad lovely all on it’s own. I decided to add some grilled chicken and get a nice warmed pita involved.
Then I added a generous amount of avocado tzatziki. I am not typically a fan of leftovers, but I’m already dreaming of tomorrow’s lunch..
Salad and dressing
- 1 head romaine chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 seedless cucumber chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced black or Kalamata olives
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 T honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dill chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp feta plus extra for topping
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt I used fat free
- 1/2 cup diced seedless cucumber
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T fresh dill
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pita bread
- grilled chicken
- For the salad, combine romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and green pepper in a large bowl
- For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, garlic, dill, oregano, and salt and pepper. Stream in the olive oil and whisk until combined. Stir in feta. Pour dressing over the salad.
- For the tzatziki, combine all ingredients together in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Assemble by placing salad, grilled chicken (if using), tzatziki, and extra feta onto warmed pita bread.