Healthy Banana Muffins (Gluten Free)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Healthy Banana Muffins – a healthier snack or breakfast on-the-go, these muffins contain no added sugar. Gluten free version included!
My girls love to grab muffins in the morning for breakfast or as an after school snack. Only problem is I’ve discovered that muffins often masquerade as a “healthier” alternative to cookies or cupcakes. A closer look at the ingredients usually reveals loads of sugar, processed oils, and refined flour! I’m always trying and developing new muffin recipes, looking for ways to cut the sugar, and just generally ‘healthify’ them.
This recipe contains only whole clean ingredients like coconut oil, bananas, applesauce, and whole wheat flour. Added sugar is not needed – there is plenty of sweetness from the bananas! You can easily modify this recipe to your taste by stirring in other yummy morsels of your choice. I often substitute Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour for a gluten free version of these muffins. There is little to no difference in the taste or texture!
Healthy Banana Muffins Variations
- Stir in frozen blueberries, dried cranberries, walnuts, pecans, or dark chocolate chips before baking.
- Use your choice of flour – whole wheat, white whole wheat, or gluten free all purpose (see recipe notes).
- Make bite sized Healthy Banana Muffins using a mini muffin tin (reduce cooking time).
- Too many over-ripe bananas? Pop them in the freezer until ready to use.
I love to make a batch of these Healthy Banana Muffins as part of my weekly meal prep for an easy breakfast/snack option for the kids throughout the week!
Healthy Banana Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat flour), for gluten free, use Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla. Stir until just slightly lumpy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Add chocolate chips, if using (or other add-ins.)
- Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
*this post contains affiliate links
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here
7 Comments on “Healthy Banana Muffins (Gluten Free)”
Pingback: Favorite Grab and Go Breakfast Recipes | TastyThin
I love having these on hand for the grab and go breakfast- but they are also a great way for my kids to start of the day. I feel so much better sending them off with something other than a sugar bomb 😉
The substitute of melted coconut oil instead of vegetable oil was great!
Loved these muffins!
I made the gluten free version and used vegetable oil instead of coconut oil. It was incredibly rich and one of the best muffins I’ve ever had. People at work devoured them.
What can I substitute apple sauce for?
You could sub with more oil, banana, or a combo of both!