Healthy Banana Muffins – a healthier snack or breakfast on-the-go, these muffins contain no added sugar. Gluten free version included!
My girls love to grab muffins in the morning for breakfast or as an after school snack. Only problem is I’ve discovered that muffins often masquerade as a “healthier” alternative to cookies or cupcakes. A closer look at the ingredients usually reveals loads of sugar, processed oils, and refined flour! I’m always trying and developing new muffin recipes, looking for ways to cut the sugar, and just generally ‘healthify’ them.
This recipe contains only whole clean ingredients like coconut oil, bananas, applesauce, and whole wheat flour. Added sugar is not needed – there is plenty of sweetness from the bananas! You can easily modify this recipe to your taste by stirring in other yummy morsels of your choice. I often substitute Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour for a gluten free version of these muffins. There is little to no difference in the taste or texture!
Healthy Banana Muffins Variations
- Stir in frozen blueberries, dried cranberries, walnuts, pecans, or dark chocolate chips before baking.
- Use your choice of flour – whole wheat, white whole wheat, or gluten free all purpose (see recipe notes).
- Make bite sized Healthy Banana Muffins using a mini muffin tin (reduce cooking time).
- Too many over-ripe bananas? Pop them in the freezer until ready to use.
I love to make a batch of these Healthy Banana Muffins as part of my weekly meal prep for an easy breakfast/snack option for the kids throughout the week!
Healthy Banana Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla. Stir until just slightly lumpy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Add chocolate chips, if using (or other add-ins.)
- Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
*this post contains affiliate links