I am always on a mission to find easy breakfast options for my family that don’t come from a package. Although my girls would gladly eat cereal everyday (and there are weeks when this is definitely the case!), I try to always have something on hand that is homemade, mostly nutritious, and portable. Portable is key because we are more often than not rushing to get out the door! These Healthy Blueberry Oat Breakfast Bars are awesome because they double as a to-go breakfast AND yummy snack.
This is one of my favorite ways to use up my stash of last summer’s frozen blueberries! Full of nutty oat flavor and juicy berries, these bars are super easy to throw together. Just slightly sweet with only natural, unrefined sugar included. There’s also no flour in this one, so my gluten free friends can enjoy too…when it comes to oats, not all are 100% gluten free so be sure to look for those if it’s a concern. If I’m not making my own oat flour, I use this gluten free oat flour from Bob’s Red Mill.
Skip the cereal and give these a try…your family will love them and you can feel totally great about adding this recipe to your rotation when meal prepping for the week!
- 1 cup oat flour Bob's Red Mill gluten free or make your own
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar Madhava Natural Sweeteners is excellent
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine oat flour, oats, coconut sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together applesauce, coconut oil, and egg. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine well. Stir in frozen blueberries. Spread batter into 8X8 greased baking dish. Bake for 30-32 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.