Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joes Recipe (Instant Pot & Stovetop Instructions)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joes Recipe (Instant Pot & Stovetop Instructions) – a classic saucy sloppy joe recipe, with simple healthy ingredients and no added sugar. A family favorite, perfect for weeknight meals and serving a crowd.
When busy weeknight mealtime gets the best of me, I turn to easy, versatile, one-pan meals. Sloppy Joes are a family favorite that you can easily build a meal around and require only a few basic ingredients. This recipe for Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joes comes from my book, Clean Eating Cookbook for Weight Loss. Ground turkey keeps this recipe on the lighter side, but any ground meat can be substituted with great results. This recipe is perfect for doubling and feeding a crowd when you need an easy solution that everyone will enjoy. Make it for dinner or freeze for later!
- Ground turkey
- Ketchup (no sugar added)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Spices: garlic powder, ground cloves
- Begin by adding the meat to a large skillet and breaking it into small bits – brown the meat until cooked through. If desired, substitute ground beef, ground chicken, or venison in this recipe.
- Add the ingredients for the sauce – ketchup, vinegar, honey, and spices.
- Simmer for up to 20 minutes and serve.
How to Make Sloppy Joes Healthy
- Skip the sloppy joe mix – those store-bought cans and seasoning packets may seem convenient, but they also contain a whole host of processed ingredients, including excess sugar and sodium. Instead go with a few simple ingredients and achieve the same great flavor with very little effort and without the extra junk.
- Choose organic, no sugar added ketchup for this recipe (and general use!) – Primal Kitchen is a great brand to try for condiments and salad dressings with clean ingredients. Or make your own ketchup – you’ll find a great recipe in my cookbook, Clean Eating Cookbook for Weight Loss.
- Swap a portion of the meat for veggies like finely minced mushrooms or cauliflower rice.
Ways to Serve Sloppy Joe Meat
- Serve on whole grain buns for a classic version of sloppy joes
- Spoon sloppy joe meat over baked potatoes or mashed potatoes and serve with a side of veggies or salad
- Make Sloppy Joe Bowls with roasted sweet potatoes, sloppy joe meat, pickles, tangy slaw, and other favorite add-ins
What Goes with Sloppy Joes?
Try these side dishes with your sloppy joes for a delicious and nutritious meal:
More Recipes Like This
Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joes
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the turkey, breaking it up into small bits, and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes, or until fully browned.
- Add the ketchup, vinegar, honey, garlic powder, and cloves. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a low simmer and continue to cook until your desired consistency is reached, about 15 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add the oil to the pot and warm using the Sauté mode. Add the ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Lock the lid and set the pot for 4 minutes on Manual mode.
- Quick release pressure when cycle is complete. Serve!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here