Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice – a healthier version of a classic family favorite, made extra easy in the Instant Pot and perfect for busy weeknights. A one-pot meal of tasty comfort food, free of any canned creamed soups!
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe
Do you crave hearty and homey casseroles in the winter like me? If you’re needing a comfort food fix that you can feel good about, I’ve got a healthier version of a classic that takes no time at all to whip up without even turning on your oven. This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Casserole with Broccoli is a new favorite of the whole family, made without any processed ingredients. It’s a great weeknight meal and is flexible enough to modify based on your preferences and tastes like total comfort food. If you like this recipe, you’ll also love my Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Casserole!
Unlike a traditional baked chicken and rice casserole, this recipe does not include any “cream of something” canned soup. If you’re attempting to adopt a clean eating lifestyle, eliminating those convenient canned soups is one small change you can immediately implement. They may seem harmless, but they contain a host of extra preservatives (chemicals), MSG, and sodium that you can do without!
Cooking the chicken and rice together with broth in the Instant Pot creates a naturally creamy casserole-like texture. And if you’re feeling nostalgic for the cheesy rice casseroles of your childhood, stir in some freshly grated parmesan or top it with a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese for that extra cheesy element.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Fresh Broccoli florets (frozen broccoli florets works well too)
- Yellow onion
- White Rice
- Low sodium Chicken broth – try my Homemade Chicken Stock recipe or this Instant Pot Veggie Broth
- Seasonings – Garlic, salt, and pepper
Variations on Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Casserole
- For a dairy free version, replace the butter with Olive Oil.
- Substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breast.
- To save a few minutes and eliminate the final step, steam the broccoli separately while the chicken and rice cook, then simply stir it in and serve.
- Instead of broccoli florets, try adding other vegetables like frozen peas, green beans, or a mixed veggie blend.
- Stir in 1 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese after cooking for a cheesy chicken and rice casserole.
- Skip Step 3 and substitute rotisserie chicken or pre-cooked chicken, adding with the rice and broth.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice
I love this Instant Pot method because everything cooks in the same pot in under 30 minutes. For the best results, the ingredients need to be cooked in stages. First, the onion and chicken are cooked on the Saute function, followed by 4 minutes of cook time under pressure with the rice and broth. Finally, the broccoli is stirred in at the end to steam under the residual heat in the pot (pro tip: be sure to cut your broccoli into very small florets for quicker cooking.) A simple and delicious meal with simple ingredients and very little effort!
- Begin by chopping the onion and cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Melt the butter using the sauté function. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the chicken and the garlic and cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the saute mode and add the broth, rice, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir well.
- Cook for 4 minutes on the Manual function (high pressure.)
- When cook time is complete, allow for a natural pressure release of 3 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure by opening the pressure valve.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pot and stir well. Return the instant pot lid to the pot and let sit for 5 minutes.
Can I use brown rice in this recipe?
Unfortunately, brown rice takes longer to cook in the Instant Pot so it is not recommended for this recipe.
How should I store and reheat leftovers?
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat individual servings in the microwave at 30 second intervals until warmed.
Can I use water instead of broth?
Sure! I like the extra flavor boost that chicken broth provides, but feel free to use water instead in a pinch.
More Instant Pot Family Favorites
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Turn on the Instant Pot Saute function and melt the butter. While butter is melting, chop the onions and chicken.
- Add onions to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add the chicken and garlic and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add broth, rice, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir.
- Cook on Manual setting for 4 minutes. When cycle is complete, allow pot to depressurize naturally for 3 minutes, then open the vent to release remaining pressure.
- Add broccoli florets to the pot, stir, and replace the lid. Let stand for 5-6 minutes - the broccoli will cook under the remaining heat in the pot.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here