Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (Whole30 Paleo Keto) – A comforting, flavorful Whole30 compliant dish cooked in the Instant Pot or slow cooker!
First of all, let me say that I am in love with my new Instant Pot! After many months of debating if I really needed another kitchen appliance (let alone a pressure cooker!), I broke down and bought one back in early December and have zero regrets. I use it so frequently, it has found a permanent spot on my kitchen counter. It’s excellent for soup/chili, big batches of pork/chicken, and whole chickens. I even cooked a partially frozen roast and it was perfect! All in a fraction of the time of slow cooker. With all that said, this recipe for Whole30 Chicken Tikka Masala can absolutely be made in a slow cooker if you are not on the Instant Pot bandwagon yet!
The flavors in this traditional Indian dish are so fantastic and fragrant. This is some serious comfort food without any guilt! There are many variations of Chicken Tikka Masala out there, but I kept it Whole30 and Paleo compliant by using coconut milk in the sauce. I also used mild spice because my husband is not a fan of spicy things, but some additional heat would be awesome. We are following the Whole30 plan in January, so I made it a meal by serving over cauliflower rice. The leftovers were fabulous!
Variations on Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- After pureeing the sauce, add in some roasted cauliflower florets.
- For non-Whole30, add some green peas to the sauce and serve with white rice.
- Serve over spaghetti squash or zoodles instead of cauliflower rice.
- Make this for Meal Prep and pack individual servings for lunches.
- Play around with the spices depending on your preference. There is a lot of room for upping the spice/heat in this recipe.
Are you contemplating a round of Whole30 but a little intimidated by the program?? Check out my Whole30 Survival Guide that makes surviving a Whole30 simple and doable even for busy families. I’ve even included a meal plan and shopping list with super easy recipes! And be sure to join my Facebook Whole30 Support Group for extra encouragement and ideas!
This Chicken Tikka Masala is also great for meal prep! Make ahead and package individual servings for lunch all week long. I love these glass meal prep containers for my lunches.
Did you make this recipe and love it too? Please leave your rating and review below!
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee for Whole30
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute. Add butter, onion, and yellow peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes until veggies start to soften.
- Add garlic, ginger, spices and salt and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and coconut milk and stir well to combine. Place chicken on top of mixture. Close the lid and set to Poultry (or Manual setting for 15 minutes).
- When cycle is complete, remove chicken and shred. Using an immersion hand blender, puree the sauce. Add the chicken back to the sauce and adjust seasoning to taste.
For the Slow Cooker
- Combine onion, yellow pepper, spices, salt, tomatoes, and coconut milk in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top. Cook on High 3-4 hours or Low for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and shred. Puree sauce using an immersion hand blender and return chicken to the slow cooker.
*this post contains affiliate links