Instant Pot Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew (Whole30 Paleo) – this simple, rustic creamy chicken stew is irresistible on a cool day. With chunks of juicy chicken, potatoes, carrots, and celery, this stew is nutritious and family friendly! Dairy and gluten free.
It’s that time of year when soups and stews are making frequent appearances on our menu. One thing I love about the fall is that the cooler weather gives me one more excuse to eat soup! I love soup all year round, but it’s especially comforting and delicious on a chilly day.
This Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew is like comfort in a bowl. With big chunks of juicy chicken, lots of herbs, fresh veggies, and a creamy base, this soup is totally irresistible and so hearty. And it’s super quick and easy in the Instant Pot, making it a great meal for busy weeknights. My kids are also big fans of this stew!
Next to the Instant Pot, one of my favorite kitchen appliances is my immersion blender. It’s perfect for making creamy blended soups like this chicken stew. To keep this recipe dairy free and Paleo friendly, I use the immersion blender to puree part of the soup, which makes a nice creamy broth without added dairy or gluten. I also use this technique in other favorite soup recipes, like this Detox Turmeric Veggie Soup and Creamy Cauliflower Soup.
How to Make Instant Pot Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew
Start by combining all the ingredients in the Instant Pot.
After cooking under pressure for about 12 minutes, remove the chicken and cut into big chunks.
Remove 2 cups of the veggie/broth mixture from the pot and use the immersion blender to puree the mixture until thick and creamy.
Add the thickened soup and chicken back to the pot and stir well.
Did you make this soup and love it too? Leave your rating and review below!
Instant Pot Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew (Whole30 Paleo)
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 large celery stalks, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast
- Add ingredients (except chicken) to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken breast to the pot. Seal lid and cook on Manual setting for 12 minutes. When cycle is complete, allow for natural release of pressure, about 10-15 minutes.
- Open lid and remove chicken breasts. Chop or shred.
- Ladle out 2 cups of veggies and broth into a spearate bowl. Using an immersion hand blender, puree the mixture until thick and smooth. (a blender also works fine for this step)
- Add chicken and pureed veggies back to the pot and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes. Add broth and herbs and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and potatoes to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes, until chicken is cooker through. Remove chicken from the pot and cut into large chunks. Remove 2 cups of veggies and broth and puree with an immersion blender. Add the thickened mixture back to the soup along with the chicken. Stir well and season with salt and pepper.
*this post contains affiliate links