Instant Pot Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew (Whole30 Paleo)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Instant Pot Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew (Whole30 Paleo) – this simple, rustic creamy chicken stew is irresistible on a cool day. With chunks of juicy chicken, potatoes, carrots, and celery, this stew is nutritious and family friendly! Dairy and gluten free, stovetop instructions included.
It’s that time of year when soups and stews are making frequent appearances on our menu. One thing I love about the fall is that the cooler weather gives me one more excuse to eat soup! I love soup all year round, but it’s especially comforting and delicious on a chilly day.
This Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew is like comfort in a bowl. With big chunks of juicy organic chicken, lots of herbs, fresh veggies, and a creamy base, this soup is totally irresistible and so hearty. And it’s super quick and easy in the Instant Pot, making it a great meal for busy weeknights. My kids are also huge fans of this stew!
What You’ll Need
Boneless skinless chicken breast
Chicken Stock (try my easy homemade version!)
Spices & Herbs: salt, pepper, sage, thyme, basil
How to Make Dairy and Gluten Free Creamy Soup
Next to the Instant Pot, one of my favorite kitchen appliances is my immersion blender. It’s perfect for making creamy blended soups like this chicken stew. To keep this recipe dairy free and Paleo friendly, I use the immersion blender to puree part of the soup, which makes a nice creamy broth without added dairy or gluten. Basically, I’m thickening my soup with soup! I also use this technique in other favorite soup recipes, like this Detox Turmeric Veggie Soup and Creamy Cauliflower Soup.
My Favorite Source of Organic Chicken
I made the switch a while back to organic meats and am so glad I finally did. The cost deterred me for a long time but I have been totally won over by the taste and quality after trying Butcher Box. If you’re not familiar with Butcher Box, they are a subscription service that delivers grass-fed beef, organic pastured chicken, and humanely raised pork right to your door. You can choose from different meat selection boxes or create your own custom box and decide how frequently you want to receive your box. It comes packed in dry ice and the quality is absolutely amazing! We have tried several different cuts of meat and loved it all! Personally, I am huge fan of their chicken, especially in this Instant Pot Chicken Stew.
How to Make Instant Pot Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew
Start by combining all the ingredients in the Instant Pot.
After cooking under pressure for about 12 minutes, remove the chicken and cut into big chunks.
Remove 2 cups of the veggie/broth mixture from the pot and use the immersion blender to puree the mixture until thick and creamy.
Add the thickened soup and chicken back to the pot and stir well.
Instant Pot Chicken Stew Variations
Stir in some frozen green beans or peas after pureeing the soup.
For a shortcut, use a teaspoon or two of my Homemade Poultry Seasoning Blend in place of the dried herbs.
This chicken stew could also be made in the slow cooker. Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, cook on Low for 5-6 hours, then remove the chicken and puree a portion of the soup as indicated in the instructions below.
FAQs for Best Instant Pot Chicken Stew
How do you not overcook chicken breast in the Instant Pot?
The perfect combo of cook time and natural pressure release (NPR) will result in tender, juicy chicken that is not dry or rubbery. For this recipe, 10 minutes of cook time and 10 minutes NPR is the magic formula.
Can I use any kind of potatoes in this chicken stew?
Most varieties of potatoes work well in this recipe. My favorite is Yukon Gold, but baby potatoes, red or russet potatoes are also good choices.
Can you freeze chicken stew?
Yes, absolutely! After the stew has cooled completely, add it to a freezer safe container leaving an inch or two of space at the top. Instant Pot Chicken Stew can be frozen for up to 3-6 months.
For More Instant Pot Soups & Stews, Check Out:
Did you make this soup and love it too? Leave your rating and review below!
Instant Pot Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew (Whole30 Paleo)
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 large celery stalks, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb organic chicken breast
- Add ingredients (except chicken) to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken breast to the pot. Seal lid and cook on Manual setting for 10 minutes. When cycle is complete, allow for natural release of pressure, about 10-15 minutes.
- Open lid and remove chicken breasts. Chop or shred.
- Ladle out 2 cups of veggies and broth into a spearate bowl. Using an immersion hand blender, puree the mixture until thick and smooth. (a blender also works fine for this step)
- Add chicken and pureed veggies back to the pot and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes. Add broth and herbs and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and potatoes to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes, until chicken is cooker through. Remove chicken from the pot and cut into large chunks. Remove 2 cups of veggies and broth and puree with an immersion blender. Add the thickened mixture back to the soup along with the chicken. Stir well and season with salt and pepper.
*this post contains affiliate links
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here