Instant Pot Gumbo with Shrimp and Chicken (Whole30 Paleo Keto) – classic flavors come through in this simple carb free Instant Pot Gumbo Recipe! Whole30 and Keto friendly!
For a quick and easy family meal that’s totally nutritious and flavorful, look no further than this Instant Pot Gumbo recipe! I love this recipe for so many reasons, but mostly because it is fast and simple version of a classic that is perfect for weeknight meals. Instant Pot Gumbo with Chicken and Shrimp is loaded with protein, veggies, cajun flavors, and kept carb-free with cauliflower rice. I hope you try it soon and be sure to check out the variations below for tips on how to customize this gumbo recipe to your liking.
How to Make Instant Pot Shrimp Gumbo
A classic gumbo recipe usually involves making a roux which creates a rich, deep flavor but takes a good amount of time. My Instant Pot version skips this step but is still full of plenty of Cajun spice and flavor. With just a few simple prep steps, you can let the Instant Pot do the work and have a delicious gumbo ready to eat in a fraction of the time!
Begin by prepping the ingredients – chop the veggies and cut the chicken into chunks. If you don’t already have it in your spice cupboard, prepare the Cajun Seasoning Blend.
Saute the onion and celery in oil in the Instant Pot. Add the remaining ingredients (except rice and shrimp) to the Pot.
Cook under pressure for 10 minutes, then manually release the steam.
Stir in the shrimp and cauliflower rice and simmer on Saute setting for about 5 minutes.
Enjoy immediately or let cool and place in glass containers for make ahead lunches.
Variations on Instant Pot Gumbo Recipe
In this Instant Pot Gumbo recipe, shrimp and chicken are the stars of the show, but I also love a version that includes sausage. Try adding sliced cooked andouille, kielbasa or Cajun style chicken sausage to the pot in the final step with the shrimp.
Take the heat up or down to your preference by increasing/omitting the cayenne pepper in the Cajun blend.
Frozen okra is a traditional gumbo ingredient that can be added with the peppers and tomatoes.
For a non-Whole30/Keto version, feel free to omit the cauliflower rice and spoon the gumbo over a scoop of white or brown rice.
More Recipes Like This
Instant Pot Gumbo with Shrimp and Chicken (Whole30 Paleo Keto)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cajun seasoning see homemade recipe below (adjust to taste)
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lb raw deveined tailless shrimp
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- Turn on the Saute function on your Instant Pot. Add the oil to the pot.
- Add the onion and celery to the Pot, cooking and stirring for 4-5 minutes, until beginning to soften. Turn off the Saute function.
- Add the bell pepper, garlic, seasoning, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, chicken breast, and salt in the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Seal the lid and cook on Manual setting for 10 minutes. When cycle is complete, quick release the pressure.
- Press the Saute button. Stir in the shrimp and cauliflower rice.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through.