Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (Whole30 Paleo) – delicious, creamy mashed potatoes, made fast and simple in the Instant Pot! Dairy free and Whole30/Paleo compliant.
Another Instant Pot success! I set out to make a Whole30 compliant version of mashed potatoes and naturally turned to my Instant Pot for the quickest method. This recipe is simple and contains no milk, cream, or other dairy. I used ghee to keep it compliant, but butter is just fine too if that isn’t a concern.
With Thanksgiving around the corner (yay – my favorite holiday!!), I wanted to create a mashed potato alternative for all my Whole30 friends that was just as good as the real thing. These potatoes are just as creamy and tasty but missing all the traditional potato add-ins – half and half, cream cheese, sour cream, etc. For extra richness, full fat coconut milk can be added but is totally optional. This recipe was approved by my family of mashed potato lovers, so I can officially say it passed the test!
On a day like Thanksgiving when there is limited stove and oven space, the Instant Pot really comes in handy. These mashed potatoes can be cooking away while all the last minute stovetop prep is going on. Total cooking time was 20-25 minutes – about 20 minutes to come to pressure and 5 to cook the potatoes. This recipe makes enough to serve 8-10 people. Happy Turkey Day!!
Are White Potatoes Whole30 Compliant?
Yes, they sure are. Thank goodness, right?! Like all other things, moderation is best if white potatoes happen to be your kryptonite. But feel free to include them along with sweet potatoes in your Whole30 menu.
Are White Potatoes Paleo?
There’s still much debate on this subject. Until recently, potatoes were not considered to be Paleo because of their high carb content and high glycemic index. Also, white potatoes are often transformed into junk food (think French fries and potato chips), which most definitely does not fit the Paleo concept. However, more recent interpretations of Paleo eating include potatoes because they are a real, whole food, a complete protein, and full of good nutrition. The short answer? Do a little research and make your own individual call on if potatoes meet your personal definition of a Paleo eating plan.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
It’s so simple and really a time saver. I combine the potatoes with some broth, ghee, and seasoning in the Pot. Cook on Manual for 5 minutes, then mash in the pot or remove them to a mixer bowl if you prefer whipped potatoes.
For even creamier potatoes, coconut milk can be added but isn’t necessary.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (Whole30 Paleo)
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter or ghee (ghee for Whole30)
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (compliant for Whole30)
- 1 teaspoon homemade all purpose seasoning blend see below
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canned full fat coconut milk (optional)
- Combine all ingredients (except coconut milk) in the Instant Pot. Seal lid and using manual setting, cook for 5 minutes. When cycle is complete, quick release pressure.
- For chunkier potatoes, mash potatoes in the pot using a potato masher. For creamy, smooth potatoes, pour everything into the bowl of a stand mixer and whip potatoes.
- For extra rich and creamy potatoes, stir in coconut milk and combine well.
*this post may contain affiliate links