Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup (Gluten Free) – a super simple recipe that’s big on flavor and totally family friendly! Slow cooker instruction and Whole30/Paleo versions included.
When I need a quick dinner option that is easy to throw together, I usually turn to some sort of soup in the Instant Pot. The Instant Pot always makes quick work of dinner because I can throw everything in, walk away, and have a delicious meal that tastes like it has been simmering for hours in a matter of minutes.
As a family, we have several favorite soup recipes that make dinner time a happy time for all. Instant Pot Hamburger Soup and Creamy Herbed Chicken Stew are two favorites and now this Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup has been added to the list! It is so simple, yet super comforting, nutritious, and flavorful.
This Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup is huge on flavor and can be easily modified to suit your preferences. The toppings are totally customizable and even the ingredients can be changed up to meet specific dietary needs without sacrificing on flavor.
I love to use chicken breasts from Butcher Box in this recipe, but boneless skinless chicken thighs are also a great option! This soup is perfect for meal prep as well. I like to package individual servings in mason jars for easy lunches on the go.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Instant Pot
This soup is a true dump, set, and forget kind of recipe. All of the ingredients are combined in the Instant Pot in this quick and easy method.
Set the pot on the Manual setting for 12 minutes. Let the pot depressurize naturally for about 10 minutes, then shred the chicken breasts.
While the soup is cooking, make tortilla strips. Cut corn tortillas into strips and cook in avocado oil for 1-2 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
Serve soup with tortilla strips and toppings if desired.
Variations on Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
There are plenty of ways to modify this recipe to meet your dietary preferences if needed.
For a Whole30/Paleo version, substitute chopped zucchini and bell peppers for the beans and corn. Serve topped with avocado and cilantro.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs can be substituted for the chicken breasts.
Add chopped jalapenos for a spicier soup.
Any type of tortilla (corn, flour, gluten free, etc.) can be used to make the tortilla strips. Or use crumbled tortilla chips for a quick and easy version.
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup (Gluten Free)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 7 ounces can green chilis
- 14.5 ounces black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2.5 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning see recipe below
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- corn tortilla strips see below
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro
- diced avocado
- Combine all ingredients in the Instant Pot. Seal lid and set for 12 minutes on Manual setting.
- When cycle is complete, let pressure release naturally about 10-15 minutes. Remove chicken breasts and shred.
- Return chicken to the pot. Serve with tortilla strips and other toppings as desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Combine all ingredients (except toppings) in the slow cooker. Cook on Low for 5-6 hours or High for 3-4 hours. Shred the chicken. Serve with toppings and tortilla strips if desired.
Corn Tortilla Strips
- Cut corn tortillas into strips. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Place strips in the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, turning throughout, until lightly golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Continue cooking in batches, adding more oil to the pan if needed.
For Whole30/Paleo diets
- Omit black beans and corn. Substitute with 2 chopped bell peppers. Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, and green onions if desired.