Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Beef (Whole30 Paleo) – this recipe is huge on flavor and super family friendly! Add to tacos, salads, burrito bowls, and more. Freezes great too!
Are you guys jumping on the Instant Pot Monday trend yet? I am loving adding this routine to my weekly meal plan! Mondays are stressful enough without the added pressure of planning and cooking a big dinner that pleases that whole family. These Instant Pot Monday recipes are intended to be super simple and extra family friendly – a winning combo for any Monday!
This week’s recipe is Mexican Shredded Beef! Probably one of my husband’s favorite things to eat. He loves all types of braised beef, but this one has a definite Mexican flair to it, perfect for tacos, salads, or make-your-own-burrito bowl. This recipe also has a little bit of kick to it from some chipotle peppers, but the heat can be easily bumped up or down depending on your taste.
Beef needs a little longer to cook than poultry in the Instant Pot, so this recipe does require a bit more time, but is still so simple and easy! The sauce could even be prepped the day before and added to the pot when ready to make. This makes a big batch, perfect for feeding a crowd or freezing for later. The leftovers are excellent and can be used all week for lunch!
How to Make Instant Pot Shredded Beef
Begin by trimming the excess fat off your chuck roast and cut into large chunks. Cook the beef in oil using the saute function on your Instant Pot.
Next, combine the ingredients for the sauce in a blender and puree.
Add the onions and green chilis to the pot with the beef and cover everything with the pureed sauce.
Cook for 50 minutes (using Manual setting), let pot depressurize naturally, then shred the beef.
If desired, reduce the sauce by cooking on Saute setting.
Mexican Shredded Beef Tips
For Whole30, look for compliant chipotles in adobo or leave them out and replace with dried chipotle spice.
Meal Prepping? Try these Meal Prep Chipotle Beef Bowls (also Whole30 compliant.)
Try serving in tacos or burritos, in a taco salad, or build your own burrito bowls with all your favorite toppings.
More Recipes Like This
Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Beef (Whole30 Paleo)
- 3-4 lbs chuck roast
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 7 ounce can diced green chilis
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo add more or less depending on desired spice level
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce see note below
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco and fajita seasoning see recipe below
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- Trim fat off roast and cut into large chunks. Heat oil in the Instant pot on the Saute setting.
- Add meat to the Pot and brown for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomato paste, garlic, lime juice, taco seasoning, and broth in a blender or food processor. Blend until pureed.
- Add onions and green chilis to the Pot with the beef. Pour blended sauce over top. Seal lid and set for 50 minutes on Manual setting.
- When cycle is complete, allow pot to depressurize naturally for about 15 minutes. Remove lid and switch to Saute setting. Shred the beef.
- SImmer on Saute setting until liquids are reduced (about 20 minutes)