Instant Pot Whole Chicken & Gravy (Whole30 Paleo)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken & Gravy – Juicy, tender, herbed whole chicken with the most amazing (and Whole30 compliant) gravy, all made in the Instant Pot!
Add this to the list of Instant Pot wonders! Roasted chicken, one of my favorite meals, cooked in a fraction of the time in the Instant Pot. And it even includes the most delicious savory gravy I have ever tasted! This entire meal, including the mashed potatoes and gravy, is also Whole30 compliant – woohoo!
This recipe was inspired by Nom Nom Paleo’s Pressure Cooker Chicken & Gravy. I actually changed very little about the gravy because it is soooo perfectly wonderful. Seriously, I could eat it alone by the spoonful. My version of the roasted chicken includes plenty of fresh herbs and lemon stuffed into the cavity of the bird for extra flavor. I also like to coat the outside of the chicken with my All Purpose Salt Free Blend which is the perfect seasoning for poultry and pork.
If you love a traditional Sunday dinner of roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, but don’t have the time to pull it together, this recipe is for you. The Instant Pot makes super quick work of a typically labor intensive meal, without sacrificing one bit of flavor. Even the Mashed Potatoes are made in the IP!
On this round of Whole30, I can honestly say the Instant Pot has been my best friend in the kitchen. The amount of prepping and cooking involved in a successful Whole30 is no joke, but the Instant Pot has made a huge difference in getting it all done without feeling trapped in the kitchen 24/7. Just head over to this post to see what I’m prepping and serving up this week!
Instant Pot Whole Chicken & Gravy
- 1 3-4 lb organic whole chicken
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 handful of fresh parsley leaves, thyme, rosemary, or other fresh herbs
- 2 teaspoons all purpose salt-free seasoning, see homemade recipe below
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken or veggie stock
- Prepare your chicken by first blotting with paper towels to dry the skin (no need to rinse.) Insert lemon and fresh herbs into the cavity and tie the legs with twine. Sprinkle all sides of chicken with the all purpose seasoning and salt.
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and melt 1 tablespoon of the ghee. Place chicken breast side down and sear for 3-4 minutes. Flip chicken and sear the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes. (Don't skip this step; it gives the gravy more flavor!)
- Remove chicken and place on a plate. Add the remaining ghee, garlic, and onions to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until onion begins to soften. Stir in the tomato paste. Stir in broth, breaking up any bits on the bottom.
- Turn the saute function off. Place your trivet into the bottom of the pot. Set chicken on the trivet and seal the lid.
- Using Manual function, set the pot for 20 minutes. When cycle is complete, immediately release pressure. Remove chicken to a plate and tent with aluminum foil. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
To make the Gravy:
- Using an immersion blender, puree the contents of the pot, adding in any extra juices from the resting chicken. If desired, thicken the gravy with a slurry of arrowroot powder and water (2 tablespoons of each.)
*this post contains affiliate links
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here