Meal Prep Shepherd’s Pie Bowls (Whole30 Paleo)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Meal Prep Shepherd’s Pie Bowls (Whole30 Paleo Keto) – prep these tasty Shepherd’s Pies Bowls ahead for a week’s worth of lunches. Easy, Paleo, Whole30 approved, and the perfect grab-and-go meal! Keto friendly option included.
For this week’s Meal Prep, I’m making individual servings of classic Shepherd’s Pie! One of my family’s favorite meals, Shepherd’s Pie has become a part of our weekly rotation. My daughter requests it all the time and I love the everything about this meal – not only is it packed with nutrition, but it’s the ultimate comfort food and easily made Keto, Paleo, and Whole30 friendly.
Typically, if I’m making this recipe for dinner, I bake the pie the old fashioned way in a large baking dish with the meat mixture on the bottom and mashed potatoes on top. For something different, I thought it would be fun to make individual bowls of deconstructed Shepherd’s Pie. I’m always looking for meal prep ideas that will make life a little easier throughout the week! To make it even easier, I took a little help from the Instant Pot and made the mashed potatoes in a fraction of the time while the meat mixture was cooking.
The savory turkey and veggie mixture is layered with my favorite dairy free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes for a delicious grab and go meal. These bowls are perfect for individual lunch servings. Just pop in the microwave for a minute or two and done! Of course this can be prepared the traditional way all together in large casserole dish for dinner.
I love these glass containers for make ahead meals. They are the perfect size and are microwave safe.
Variations on Meal Prep Shepherd’s Pie Bowls
To make Keto Shepherd’s Pie, substitute the mashed potato topping with cauliflower mash.
I also love this Instant Pot Cauliflower Potato Mash for reducing the carbs. It tastes just like mashed potatoes, but the carbs are cut in half!
In place of ground turkey, use any ground meat you like in this recipe. Beef, venison, and lamb are all great options
More Lunch Meal Prep Ideas that are Paleo/Whole30 Compliant
- Meal Prep Chipotle Beef Bowls
- Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Wraps
- Meal Prep Mason Jar Asian Salads
- Meal Prep Thai Chicken Lettuce Cups
Looking for even more Whole30 compliant and Paleo Meal Prep ideas? Head over to this post of 13 delicious Whole30 Meal Prep Bowls!
Meal Prep Shepherd's Pie Bowls (Whole30 Paleo)
- 1 tablespoon ghee, or cooking oil of choice
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey, or beef
- 1/2 tablespoon all purpose salt free seasoning, see recipe below
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 cup low sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, see recipe below
- Melt the ghee in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add carrots, onions, and celery. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until veggies are beginning to soften.
- Add garlic, turkey, and seasoning to the skillet. Break up turkey and cook until browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, coconut aminos, broth, and spinach. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Split the turkey mixture and potatoes evenly between 4 containers. Seal and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For lunch on the go, just remove lid and microwave for 1 minute or until hot.
- If preparing for dinner, place meat mixture in a large casserole dish and spread mashed potatoes on top. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Broil for the last few minutes for a golden crust if desired.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here