Mediterranean Farro Salad – cucumbers , ripe tomatoes, and lemon add a freshness and light quality to earthy, nutty farro in this Mediterranean Farro Salad.
I love adding Mediterranean flavors to cold, grain-based salads – in this dish, cucumbers, ripe tomatoes, and lemon add freshness to farro and chicken rounds out the meal with a good dose of protein.
In true fashion, I’m probably a little late to the party…but I just recently discovered farro. I mean, I’d heard of it, just never tried it. Much like quinoa, it is full of fiber and protein and is the perfect neutral base for other bolder ingredients. If you’re getting bored with quinoa everything, give it a try!
Topped with grilled chicken breast, this one is a winner for sure. So tasty and satisfying, this dish is a perfect make ahead meal, excellent for lunch during the week. I can’t wait to discover other fun ways to get creative with farro. It would be wonderful added to chicken or vegetable soup.
Looking for more grain based salads to make for lunch or as a barbecue side dish? Try this Tomato Herb Quinoa Salad with Goat Cheese!
Mediterranean Farro Salad
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 3 cups water or broth
- 1/2 English cucumber chopped
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 cup sliced cooked chicken breast
- 2 T fresh chopped parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 T olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Place the farro and water/broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Drain off extra liquid. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the farro, cucumber, tomatoes, green onion, chicken, and parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Add salt and pepper and toss to combine.