Mini Turkey Meatballs & Easy Marinara – delicious and family friendly, these meatballs are perfect for family dinners or meal prep. Paleo and Gluten Free.
Homemade meatballs are a staple at our house. They are so versatile! Lunch, dinner, appetizers…with pasta, without pasta…and unlimited sauces/flavors for jazzing them up. I love this recipe, because it’s basic and makes a HUGE batch, which can be frozen for later. Don’t buy frozen, store-bought meatballs full of yucky additives when you can make your own! These are such a cinch to make. This recipe is for a paleo diet using almond meal flour, but you could easily substitute bread crumbs if you prefer.
Grab your favorite meatball mixing bowl – yes, I have a designated meatball bowl – don’t ask me why but it belonged to my Grandma and evokes happy memories, so why not! Then pile all your ingredients in the bowl and dig in! Using your hands, mix until combined well. Roll into small, one inch balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (this helps with clean up.)
I like to chill the meatballs for 15 minutes or so in the refrigerator before baking. This helps to set them and reduces oozing while baking. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Serve them up for dinner with this super quick marinara and some noodles/zoodles. Makes about 75 mini meatballs – freeze the extra for later and enjoy!
Mini Turkey Meatballs with Quick Marinara
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For meatballs, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form into small 1 inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If desired, refrigerate meatballs for about 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
For marinara sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large deep pan. Add carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and basil. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.