Skinny Carrot Cake Muffins – a healthier take on carrot cake, sweet enough for dessert and healthy enough for breakfast!
Another Springtime favorite! I love carrot cake, but not all the oil and sugar a typical recipe contains. These muffins are hearty yet light and include lots of healthy swaps, making them a great grab-and-go breakfast or lunchbox snack. Sweet carrot cake flavor with an optional Greek yogurt glaze…Yum!
My Skinny Carrot Cake Cupcakes needed a little makeover so I came up with the Greek Yogurt glaze in place of the original cream cheese frosting and took some new pics. These muffins satisfy my sweet tooth but contain no added refined sugar (minus the glaze) and very little fat. They are a wonderful treat that kids will love too!
Skinny Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond or fat free milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups grated carrots (no need to peel)
Greek Yogurt Glaze (optional)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- splash of vanilla
- dash of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 12 cup cupcake pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, maple syrup, coconut oil, applesauce, milk, and vanilla.
- Incorporate flour into wet ingredients until well combined. Fold in grated carrots.
- Fill cupcake cups about 1/2 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, whisk yogurt well in a small bowl. Add powdered sugar, splash of vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk until smooth. Add additional sugar or yogurt to reach desired taste/consistency. Drizzle over cooled muffins.