Skinny Carrot Cake Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Skinny Carrot Cake Muffins – a healthier take on carrot cake, sweet enough for dessert and healthy enough for breakfast!
Another Springtime favorite! I love carrot cake, but not all the oil and sugar a typical recipe contains. These muffins are hearty yet light and include lots of healthy swaps, making them a great grab-and-go breakfast or lunchbox snack. Sweet carrot cake flavor with an optional Greek yogurt glaze…Yum!
My Skinny Carrot Cake Cupcakes needed a little makeover so I came up with the Greek Yogurt glaze in place of the original cream cheese frosting and took some new pics. These muffins satisfy my sweet tooth but contain no added refined sugar (minus the glaze) and very little fat. They are a wonderful treat that kids will love too!
Happy Spring! For other sweet treats that include healthy swaps, check out these Skinny Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Mint Chocolate Chip Energy Bars, and Vegan Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites.
Skinny Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond or fat free milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups grated carrots, (no need to peel)
Greek Yogurt Glaze (optional)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- splash of vanilla
- dash of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 12 cup cupcake pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, maple syrup, coconut oil, applesauce, milk, and vanilla.
- Incorporate flour into wet ingredients until well combined. Fold in grated carrots.
- Fill cupcake cups about 1/2 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, whisk yogurt well in a small bowl. Add powdered sugar, splash of vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk until smooth. Add additional sugar or yogurt to reach desired taste/consistency. Drizzle over cooled muffins.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here
2 Comments on “Skinny Carrot Cake Muffins”
So cute to mention your daughter when talking about the Ree Drummund cookbook in your cookbook collection post. ?
excellent recipe!!! sooo yummy they don’t taste skinny at all haha! i used regular cream cheese frosting instead of making the glaze and by my calculations still only around 120 cal each! it’s a good thing too because they turned out amazing!