Summer Veggie Skillet (Whole30 Paleo Keto) – fresh summer veggies lightly charred and tossed with lemon juice and fresh herbs. A one skillet side dish, perfect for pairing with your favorite barbecued meat. Gluten Free, Vegan, and Dairy Free.
One of my favorite things about summer is garden fresh veggies. I still have a lot to learn in the gardening department, but I manage to get a decent harvest from our garden each year. This Summer Veggie Skillet is one of my favorite ways to use the veggies we grow. With a bright lemony herb dressing to finish the dish, this recipe is super fresh and delicious.
With my limited gardening skills, I’ve found that beans, peppers, and zucchini are definitely among the easiest of veggies to grow yourself. While tomatoes and other vegetables can sometimes be more tempermental, my zucchini , beans, and pepper plants always thrive, even when I forget to water and the weeds take over!
Adapted from an old Cooking Light recipe, I’ve made this skillet many times over the years. Although I haven’t been able to locate the original, I know it included fresh cut sweet corn. To keep this version Whole30/Paleo friendly, I’ve left out the corn and bumped up the quantities of the other veggies. You could certainly modify the types/quantities of veggies used – just be sure to chop them in similar sized pieces to ensure uniform cooking. The key to this dish is the lemon, herb, and shallot dressing. It adds a bright, fresh flavor that is unexpected but completely delicious!
How to Make Summer Veggie Skillet
- Get your pan hot by preheating it before adding the veggies. A large cast iron skillet works wonderful for this recipe.
- Once the lid is on, leave it on! No stirring allowed. This allows the veggies to get a slight char and cook in their own steam.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid, add the dressing, and toss to combine.
What to Serve with Summer Veggie Skillet
This recipe is super versatile and pairs well with most proteins. Try serving it along side some of these favorite summer grilling recipes:
- Rosemary Dijon Turkey Kabobs
- Bruschetta Grilled Chicken
- Garlic Herb Salmon Foil Packets with Potatoes
- Turkey Zucchini Burgers
- Also great with simple grilled steak or pork tenderloin
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 cups chopped fresh green beans
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
In a small bowl, combine shallots, parsley, thyme, oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk well and set aside.
Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
Add veggies to skillet and stir to combine. Place lid on skillet and let cook for 5 minutes. Do not remove lid or stir during this time.
Remove lid, stir, and add shallot herb dressing. Toss to combine and serve immediately.
*this post may contain affiliate links