As fall and the start of school approaches, I’m starting to look for make ahead recipes that can be prepared in bulk and frozen. These Taco Turkey Quinoa Stuffed Peppers are a definite winner in that category!! This recipe makes a large batch of filling, enough for at least three meals for my family of four. One batch can be used for tonight’s supper and the remaining mixture frozen in 2 large Ziplocs for those nights when we need a little help getting dinner on the table. 😉
The filling for these peppers is not only tasty and nutritious, but is totally versatile and could be used for burritos, as a salad, or even soup! For kids who aren’t crazy about peppers, the warmed filling could also be served in a tortilla, taco style. I love this recipe for so many reasons…quinoa provides an extra bit of protein, the Homemade Taco Seasoning gives it that family-friendly flavor, and I have a nutritious prepped dinner on hand for busy weeknights…it doesn’t get much better. 🙂
- 4 bell peppers any color
- 3 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cup diced bell peppers from the tops
- 2 small onions finely diced
- 5 Tablespoons Homemade Taco & Fajita Seasoning or store bought
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 8 oz can unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- In a large deep saucepan, begin browning the ground turkey over medium high heat. Add onion and peppers and continue to cook until turkey is completely cooked. Add tomatoes and taco seasoning, simmering for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cooked quinoa. (At this point, you can let the mixture cool and freeze it if not using right away.)
- For one meal of 4 peppers, place peppers in a 8X8 baking dish (or similar size.) Add approximately 3/4-1 cup of meat mixture to each pepper, depending on the size of your peppers. Spoon tomato sauce over top and add the remaining sauce to the bottom of the baking dish. Top peppers with shredded cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil and cook for 35 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Place remaining filling in freezer bags for future use.