Vegetarian Lentil Chili (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker) – loaded with veggies, protein, and fiber, this tasty lentil chili can be made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker!
This is truly and dump it and forget it kind of meal. Made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker, it couldn’t be any easier to enjoy a big bowl of lentil chili, loaded with veggies, black beans, and spices. If you’re trying to get more meatless meals into the rotation, this Vegetarian Lentil Chili is a great option. The beans and lentils provide all the protein and fiber you need! This lentil chili recipe is simple, cozy, and perfect for a cool autumn day!
I feel like lentils are a neglected member of the legume family. They make rare appearances in recipes, but when they do, I am usually in love. Especially in soup and chili. Technically lentils are a whole grain, but they are also a great source of protein and fiber, making them a good option for clean eating plans. This recipe highlights yummy lentils, along with black beans, veggies, and my homemade chili seasoning blend. The chili comes together quick, ready in under 30 minutes in the Instant Pot, and perfect for busy nights.
I love the versatility of this lentil chili recipe. It calls for such simple ingredients, all of which are probably in your frig or pantry at any given time, but can be easily modified to fit whatever veggies you might have on hand. Zucchini and jalapenos would be excellent additions. Feel free to load up on the veggies, it’s a great way to sneak them into your diet!
How to Make Instant Pot Vegetarian Lentil Chili
Begin by preparing the lentils and beans. Drain and rinse the beans and rinse the lentils thoroughly.
Next prep the vegetables and chop into small pieces.
Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir well.
Seal and cook under high pressure for 15 minutes.
Variations on Instant Pot Vegetarian Lentil Chili
Substitute kidney, pinto, or great northern beans for the black beans. Any type works great in this recipe.
Red, green, or regular lentils can be used in this recipe.
if you enjoy a spicier chili, add diced jalapenos, hot sauce, or crushed red pepper to the recipe.
This lentil chili freezes well. Try these silicone soup trays for freezing individual portions!
More recipes like this
Vegetarian Lentil Chili (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- 1 large bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 14 oz. can low sodium black beans
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons homemade chili seasoning see below
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- Add all ingredients to the instant pot. Stir well. Seal lid and use manual setting for 15 minutes. When cycle is complete, all for natural release or perform quick release. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional chili seasoning. Serve with your favorite toppings such as cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, jalapenos, chopped onions, etc.
For the Slow Cooker
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional chili seasoning. Serve with your favorite toppings.