Vegetarian Lentil Chili (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker) – loaded with veggies and flavor, this tasty lentil chili can be made in the IP or slow cooker!
This is truly and dump it and forget it kind of meal. Made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker, it couldn’t be any easier to enjoy a big bowl of lentil chili, loaded with veggies, black beans, and spices. Perfect for a cool autumn day!
I feel like lentils are a neglected member of the legume family. They make rare appearances in recipes, but when they do, I am usually in love. Especially in soup and chili. Technically lentils are a starch, but they are also a great source of protein and fiber, making them a healthier choice. This recipe highlights yummy lentils, along with black beans, veggies, and my homemade chili seasoning blend. This chili comes together quick, ready in under 30 minutes in the Instant Pot, and perfect for busy nights.
This recipe uses such simple ingredients, all of which are probably in your frig or pantry at any given time. But jazzing it up would be nice too; additional veggies or spice could be added or swapped customizing to your own tastes. Zucchini and jalapenos would be excellent additions. Feel free to load up on the veggies, it’s a great way to sneak them into your diet!
Vegetarian Lentil Chili (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- 1 large bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 14 oz. can low sodium black beans
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons homemade chili seasoning see below
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- Add all ingredients to the instant pot. Stir well. Seal lid and use manual setting for 15 minutes. When cycle is complete, all for natural release or perform quick release. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional chili seasoning. Serve with your favorite toppings such as cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, jalapenos, chopped onions, etc.
For the Slow Cooker
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional chili seasoning. Serve with your favorite toppings.