Whole30 Breakfast Sausage (Whole30 Paleo Keto) – clean eating is simple with this easy homemade breakfast sausage recipe. Great for meal prep and freezing too!
Homemade breakfast sausage is incredibly easy to make, can be made with your favorite ground meat, and fits perfectly with a Paleo/Whole30 diet. While I love the flavor of sausage, I’m not a big fan of greasy, heavy meats. Also, most store bought sausage contains sugar, which is a big no-no on Whole3o. Given this and knowing my family’s love of sausage for breakfast, I decided to try a homemade version, keeping within Whole30 guidelines. The result was fantastic! This Whole30 Breakfast Sausage tastes like the real thing, just a bit on the lighter side. No sugar or junk added – just ground turkey and spices!
This Whole30 Breakfast Sausage is a welcome addition to my typical breakfast of eggs and fruit. I’m one who loves routine and can eat the same thing everyday, but changing it up sure is nice too! One complaint I hear often about Whole30 is the boredom that comes with eating the same foods over and over. My advice is to be brave and pick a new recipe once or twice a week to add to the rotation – just make it a simple one! Head over to my Whole30 Survival Guide for more info on that.
For this round of Whole30, I’ve made a conscious effort to keep my meals and meal prep as simple as possible. Which means nothing fancy or complicated. Just food that is simple to prepare and that my family loves. The new cookbook, Whole30 Fast & Easy, is a great resource for this!
This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled, making it a great addition to your weekly meal prep session (read more about the importance of that here) and added as needed to your breakfast meals. The patties freeze nicely and can be defrosted and warmed quickly. And if you love this recipe, check out these Whole30 Jalapeno Chicken Sausage Patties!
Variations on Whole30 Breakfast Sausage
Try ground pork or chicken instead of turkey. Ground pork (this is my favorite source) will give you a more authentic sausage flavor and ground chicken is super budget friendly.
Save some time making patties and cook the meat as is for sausage crumbles.
Finely minced and sautéed onion is a great addition.
Try different flavor profiles with my Homemade Seasoning Blends.
Uses For and Recipes to Serve With Whole30 Breakfast Sausage
- Use in Easy Whole30 Breakfast Bake
- Use in Whole30 Breakfast Hash
- Serve with Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie
- Serve with Paleo Frittata Muffins
Whole30 Breakfast Sausage (Whole30 Paleo Keto)
- 1 lb ground turkey (or pork or chicken)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning see homemade recipe below
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon all purpose salt free blend see homemade recipe below
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- cooking oil of choice
- Combine ground turkey and seasonings in a bowl. Mix well with your hands and form 12 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil (avocado, coconut, or olive oil) or ghee to the pan. Add patties to the pan (in batches) and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels if desired. Serve immediately, refrigerate, or freeze for future use.
- Alternative to patties, make ground sausage by cooking ground turkey and spices together in the oil, breaking up into pieces.
*this post contains affiliate links