Whole30 Egg Roll Bowls – a simple one pot meal with awesome egg roll flavor, but healthier! Whole30, Paleo, gluten and dairy free.
With the holidays approaching, I know there will be tons of extra food temptation and plenty of overindulgences in my future. To compensate in between all of the food splurges, I’m trying to keep to a clean eating, low carb meal plan. These Egg Roll Bowls are great way to keep it light on a busy weeknight and still enjoy your favorite takeout flavors.
So this recipe might be my favorite thing I’ve made in a long time! The flavor is awesome and tastes just like yummy egg roll filling. It’s made all in one pot, is ready in under 20 minutes, and is so tasty, you won’t miss the deep fried wonton! With some added crunch from water chestnuts and a delicious sauce, these bowls totally hit the spot and will curb your Asian takeout cravings. They are completely nutritious, Whole30 and Paleo friendly, and can be enjoyed hot or cold. For extra veggies and fiber, serve this over cauliflower rice. The leftovers make a great lunch!
If you’re contemplating starting a round of Whole30, I highly recommend this book. My husband and I completed a round last January and will probably do the same this year. It’s totally changed the way I look at food and is a great way to reset and learn about your specific food intolerances. And I’m super psyched about the newest Whole30 cookbook, Whole30 Fast & Easy, coming out December 5!
To keep this recipe Whole30 compliant, I used Coconut Aminos (in place of soy sauce) and Red Boat Fish Sauce. Tip: don’t skip the fish sauce! It adds a great depth of flavor and in small amounts, isn’t fishy tasting at all! For more guilt free takeout recipes, check out this post.
Whole30 Egg Roll Bowls
- 1 lb ground chicken (or pork)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced water chestnuts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 14 oz. bag coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (such as Red Boat)
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Heat coconut oil in a large, deep skillet. Add ground chicken and break up into small bits. Cook until no longer pink.
- Add mushrooms, water chestnuts, green onion, and garlic to the pan. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- In a small dish, combine sesame oil, fish sauce, coconut aminos, and ginger. Whisk well.
- Add coleslaw mix to the pan and stir to combine. Pour sauce over mixture and cook, stirring often, for about 4-5 minutes. Slaw should be wilted but still have a little crunch.
- Serve with additional green onions as a garnish, if desired.