Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Bake (Gluten Free) – only 6 ingredients in this family friendly casserole! Fast, healthy, and packs tons of hearty flavor!
With only six ingredients, you won’t believe how fast this recipe comes together! My Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Bake is a simple dish that requires no pre-cooking – all the ingredients are combined in a casserole dish and the result is super tasty, healthy, and family friendly! This is another great choice for busy weeknights that doesn’t involve much prep.
Even my husband who considers quinoa to be “girl food,” loved this recipe. It has all the yummy flavors of a barbecue chicken pizza and is hearty enough to please all members of the family. In fact, it’s the perfect example of a healthier casserole that is totally tasty but not loaded with extra fat and calories. And it makes excellent leftovers for lunch – hot or cold!
Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Bake Recipe Tips
I have tried this recipe with both white and red quinoa and had much better results with white. Red quinoa tends to take longer to cook and may still be chewy after baking. Or try covering the dish with foil while baking.
Use any barbecue sauce you like or even make your own! If you’re limiting sugar, try The New Primal BBQ Sauce which has no added sugar.
Red, white, or yellow onion works great in this recipe.
Substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breast if desired.
Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Bake
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup white quinoa, uncooked
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place uncooked quinoa in the bottom of the baking dish. Add peppers, onion, and chicken.
- Combine water and barbecue sauce, whisking together in a separate bowl. Pour over quinoa mixture. Bake for 60 minutes.