Fat Free Blueberry Lemon Muffins – sweet and tart and virtually fat free, these muffins are bursting with fresh flavors!
Treat your family this weekend with these Fat Free Blueberry Lemon Muffins! Sweet berries, tart lemon, and a yummy glaze combine for a pretty indulgent tasting muffin, but without the guilt!
I love when blueberry season arrives and I can replenish my stash of frozen berries. Did you know West Michigan is the blueberry capital of the United States? We are overflowing in blueberry farms and roadside stands. Every summer my kids and I pick loads of fresh blueberries, freeze them, and use them all year in muffins, smoothies, breads, and jam.
Applesauce replaces the oil/butter in this recipe to create a virtually fat free sweet treat. These muffins truly are best when eaten fresh from the oven, while still slightly warm and the glaze still gooey. 🙂
Fat Free Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar I like Madhava brand
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
For lemon glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl combine milk, egg, lemon juice, zest, and applesauce. The milk will begin to curdle from the lemon juice.
- Stir berries into flour mixture. Fold in wet ingredients. Fill cups with batter about 1/2 - 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, remove from pan, and drizzle glaze immediately over warm muffins.