Instant Pot Pork Carnitas (Whole30 Paleo)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas (Whole30 Paleo) – a delicious Mexican pulled pork recipe made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker. Perfect for tacos, burritos, salads, and more! So easy and family friendly!
By far, one of my favorite uses for the Instant Pot is making huge batches of tender, flavorful proteins. Much like a slow cooker, the IP is perfect for cooking large quantities of meat while infusing tons of delicious flavor. The bonus is that it can be ready in about 30 minutes, compared to all day in the slow cooker. I love both methods, but the Instant Pot is a lifesaver when you are short on time.
Every week, I make this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken to eat all week long for lunch in salads, etc. For a change, I decided to try pork and came up with this recipe for carnitas. I used pork loin because that’s what I had in the freezer, but many traditional recipes use shoulder or butt. Use what you prefer and/or what your budget allows.
The flavor comes from lots of spices (I used my homemade taco seasoning), garlic, and a little bit of fresh citrus juice. The smell is pretty heavenly and the taste is crazy good. The only work involved is shredding the meat after it cooks!
If you like your carnitas crispy, spread them on a baking sheet drizzled with juices and place them under the broiler. I actually love the non-crispy carnitas, but it’s a personal preference thing!
This is such a versatile recipe! The pork can be used in tacos, burritos, over rice, or in salads. My favorite Whole30ish way to eat this is topped with fresh Mexican ingredients and flavors like avocado, tomato, and cilantro. This batch makes enough meat for several meals, making it one of my favorite things to make on Meal Prep Sunday. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- 2-3 lbs pork loin, (or cut of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning, see notes below
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Rub pork loin with taco seasoning. Place meat in the Instant Pot (cut into large chunks if needed to fit.)
- Sprinkle garlic over meat. Combine broth and juices and pour over meat.
- Seal lid and set Pot. For tenderloin, I used the manual setting for 15 minutes. For larger, fattier roasts, use the Meat/Stew setting.
- When cycle is complete, allow for slow release. Remove meat and leave remaining liquid in the Pot. Set the Instant Pot to Saute and allow juices to reduce by about half. Meanwhile, shred the meat.
- For crispy carnitas, place shredded pork in a single layer on a baking pan. Drizzle with remaining juices and broil until crispy and golden. Otherwise, return the meat to the juices.
- Serve with tortillas, cilantro, avocado, or your favorite taco toppings.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here