Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (Whole30 Paleo Keto)
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (Whole30 Paleo Keto) – A comforting, flavorful Whole30 compliant dish cooked in the Instant Pot or slow cooker! Paleo and Keto friendly.
When I first bought my Instant Pot two years ago I had no idea the amount of use it would get. After many months of debating if I really needed another kitchen appliance (let alone a pressure cooker!), I can honestly say it has been my best purchase yet. I use it so frequently, it has found a permanent spot on my kitchen counter. It’s excellent for soup/chili, big batches of pork/chicken, and whole chickens. All in a fraction of the time of slow cooker. Its my best friend on meal prep day and makes quick and efficient work of meal time. With all that said, this recipe for Whole30 Chicken Tikka Masala can absolutely be made in a slow cooker if you are not on the Instant Pot bandwagon yet!
The flavors in this traditional Indian dish are so fantastic and fragrant. This is some serious comfort food without any guilt! There are many variations of Chicken Tikka Masala out there, but I kept it Whole30 and Keto compliant by using coconut milk in the sauce. I also used mild spice because my husband is not a fan of spicy things, but some additional heat would be awesome. I serve it with cauliflower rice to make it a complete meal.
I am planning for a round of Whole30 in January and this recipe will definitely be on the menu. It is a favorite with so many readers and best of all, super simple to make. If you too are planning or contemplating a round of Whole30 but a little intimidated by the program, check out my Whole30 Survival Guide that makes surviving a Whole30 simple and doable even for busy families. I’ve even included a meal plan and shopping list with super easy recipes! And be sure to join my Facebook Whole30 Support Group for extra encouragement and ideas!
I also love to make this Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala strictly for meal prep and pack individual servings for lunches during the week. These glass meal prep containers are my favorite for packaging prepped lunches.
Tips for Making Whole30 Chicken Tikka Masala
Stock up on staples for this recipe at Thrive Market. Thrive is my favorite source of Whole30 staples, including coconut milk, diced tomatoes, and spices used in this tikka masala. Use my code for 25% off your first purchase!
Play around with the spices depending on your preference. There is a lot of room for upping the spice/heat in this recipe.
Make this for Meal Prep and pack individual servings for lunches.
Variations on Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs are also great in this recipe. Whether using thighs or breasts, this is my favorite source for organic chicken.
After pureeing the sauce, add in some roasted cauliflower florets.
For non-Whole30, add some green peas to the sauce and serve with white rice.
Serve over spaghetti squash or zoodles instead of cauliflower rice.
For More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes, Check Out:
Did you make this recipe and love it too? Please leave your rating and review below!
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee for Whole30
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute. Add butter, onion, and yellow peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes until veggies start to soften.
- Add garlic, ginger, spices and salt and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and coconut milk and stir well to combine. Place chicken on top of mixture. Close the lid and set to Poultry (or Manual setting for 15 minutes).
- When cycle is complete, remove chicken and shred. Using an immersion hand blender, puree the sauce. Add the chicken back to the sauce and adjust seasoning to taste.
For the Slow Cooker
- Combine onion, yellow pepper, spices, salt, tomatoes, and coconut milk in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top. Cook on High 3-4 hours or Low for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and shred. Puree sauce using an immersion hand blender and return chicken to the slow cooker.
This recipe was originally published in January 2017 and updated in July 2019.
*this post contains affiliate links
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here